Zune Thoughts

Zune Thoughts.com

Thanks for visiting Zune Thoughts - be sure to register in our forums!

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Windows Phone Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > ZUNE THOUGHTS > Zune News

Old 08-19-2010, 10:26 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Yes Virginia, the Zune HD is Still at Most Wal-Marts

http://techrights.org/2010/08/11/ga...lmart-and-zune/

"ONE of our readers, who used to work at the Bill Gates-funded [1, 2] Walmart, says that "Walmart is no longer carrying the Zune". Well, the Zune has been virtually dead for a long time, but there was never any formal announcement about discontinuation. Moreover, some shops continues to stock and put this unpopular item on a shelf. When will an announcement finally be made to say that Zune is officially dead, just like "KIN"? It's probably inevitable. Walmart also de-emphasised Xbox 360 earlier this year."

The Techrights Web site sort of freaks me out - I was half expecting to find an application form for a combination militia/alien abductee support group - but when I saw that they were claiming that the Zune HD was no longer being sold at the largest retail chain in the USA, I was a little dubious. I contacted a Microsoft Zune spokesperson and asked them point-blank whether this was true.

Q: "Is Wal-Mart no longer selling the Zune HD at retail stores in the USA?"

A: "Sales of Zune HD devices continue at Wal-Mart. Our understanding is that individual stores have authority over when specific items are restocked once they're sold out, but the device is still available at Wal-Mart and other retailers like Best Buy, as well as online at Amazon.com and www.ZuneOriginals.net."

Seems like someone should do a bit more research before making unsubstantiated claims, no? Oh wait, this is the Internet that we're talking about...

Old 08-20-2010, 04:36 AM
Elysioum
Neophyte

Don't worry about what this site mentiones. I checked it and these are just some Linux fanboys. I wouldn't take them seriously.

But it would be nice to know what Microsoft would really like to do with the Zune. Now they have it in their new Windows Phone 7 will they support new development of Zune HD in the future. I mean they could have this product just like Apple still has iPod and Zune HD could become a WP7 without a phone functionality. That would be great. I hope MS is thinking this way.

Old 08-20-2010, 06:27 AM
Alber1690
Intellectual
Send a message via MSN to Alber1690

Several stores in my area no longer have the fancy Zune displays and just stack whatever Zune devices they have collecting dust in random cabinets or window-locked shelves. It's quite depressing actually...

On a side note, could someone explain the whole Bill Gates/Walmart connection?

Old 08-21-2010, 01:38 PM
stlbud
Intellectual

Good news! I was surprised to see that Microcenter in St Louis has actually picked up Zune HD. The is about a year old now. It has not had Zune in store or online until recently.

Zune Tag - therealstlbud

Old 08-21-2010, 07:32 PM
Macguy59
Mystic

Neither the Best Buy or the 3 Walmart's in town sell the ZuneHD anymore. Last time I saw one at Best Buy was back in March.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:02 PM
randalllewis
Thinker

I was amused to see a website I've never heard of demonstrate its credibility (zero) without my needing to even bother visiting.

When your hatred of Microsoft is so total that you find hidden motives in the work of the world's largest philanthropy, that says far more about you than it does about Bill Gates.

The "link," by the way, is that the Gates Foundation recently increased its investment in Wal-Mart. This is seen by the paranoid among us as part of a plot to do something nefarious rather than as the rational act of a philanthropy to prudently invest its assets in the stock of a company with a history of growth.

I don't shop at Wal-Mart, but I respect the right of others to do so and of the Gates Foundation to make prudent investments.

......And, the Zune HD was also available at the local Fry's recently.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:49 AM
Ricardo Dawkins
Ponderer

Zune as a hardware device is gone.
ZuneThoughts better be ready to change the "Zune" part on that name unless you are prepared to do only software reviews.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:04 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Dawkins View Post
Zune as a hardware device is gone. ZuneThoughts better be ready to change the "Zune" part on that name unless you are prepared to do only software reviews.
Yeah, the future of Zune Thoughts is something that's on my mind - I've never had to shut down a Web site before, but unless the Zune gets some more effort from Microsoft, I just might have to bid farewell to Zune Thoughts.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:11 PM
David Tucker
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to David Tucker Send a message via AIM to David Tucker Send a message via MSN to David Tucker Send a message via Yahoo to David Tucker

Its quite a depressing thing, I agree. I don't think Zune the media platform is going away...its tied to WP7 & XBox Live but its very depressing that Microsoft, with the power of the successful 360 platform, failed to leverage that into something cool and exciting (until it was far too late to matter).

The ZuneHD was and is a beautiful device but MSFT sent some pretty mixed messages when they killed off all other forms of the Zune. And it makes no sense to have the HD be application ready yet not allow apps be written for it. Unfortunately I think the Zune is just another product that highlights the complete mismanagement that exists within Microsoft these days.

Its hard to be excited about a device that it seems like the company that produces it doesn't care about.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:30 PM
jdmichal
Intellectual

I honestly just think they prematurely killed the hardware aspects of it, in anticipation of WP7 taking over. I say prematurely, because in all the time its taken them to get WP7 out the door, they could have easily fit in a refresh on the Zune HD player.

It will be interesting to see whether anyone ever make an iPod Touch version of a WP7 device. (Also curious whether the OS itself can easily handle not having a cellular radio.)