Digital Home Thoughts

Digital Home Thoughts - News & Reviews for the Digital Home

Register in our forums so you're ready for our next giveaway contest...

Zune Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > DIGITAL HOME THOUGHTS > Digital Home Articles & Resources

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-11-2009, 10:12 PM
jeffd
Philosopher

Ahh yes, the venerable table of audio compression quality comparisons... and a new one to boot which is strange since there hasn't been a new audio compression in nearly a decade.

In the end I have found that these tables don't help to much when it comes down to figuring out how best to put your music on your DAP, chances are high your player dosn't support the top codecs.

From my travels, OGG is the best highly compressed format (128-192kbytes), and flac is the most widely supported format for loss less audio.

But we arn't quite left with the bottom feeder codecs, AAC at 192kbit is very good, and I am pretty sure its quality loss is inaudible at around the 320kbit mark so apple fans should be happy. This is one of the reasons I hate mp3, I will never compress anything to mp3. Even at 320kbits or more, there is still major distortion of very high frequencies, cymbals (It's sort of like how converting dvd's to divx, even if you use a huge bit rate there is always a noticeable quality drop. This quality drop is not noticeable with h264 which can make some amazing rips).

Unfortunately my ZVM dosn't do anything but mp3, wma, and I think rm (yuck), so I end up using WMA. WMA 9.x is pretty good if you use the 90 or 98 quality rate (90 is vbr vetween 320 and 500. I use 90 now because my car audio deck chokes on songs compressed with 98). I havn't felt my audio files suffered any loss in quality using it.