¹ Reactions of a Zune Fan to the September 2009 iPod Announcements - Page 2 - Thoughts Media Forums Zune Thoughts

Zune Thoughts.com

Thanks for visiting Zune Thoughts - be sure to register in our forums!

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Windows Phone Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > ZUNE THOUGHTS > Zune Talk

Old 09-09-2009, 11:52 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macguy59 View Post
Actually if Apple were really afraid of that, they would not have included WiFi. VOIP is already possible (jailbroken) on the 'Touches.
The number of jailbroken iPod Touch units can't be that significant - I doubt it even registers on Apple's radar. Not including WiFi isn't an option - but you can see Apple wiggling around on why they have concerns with VOIP apps:

http://www.apple.com/hotnews/apple-a...fcc-questions/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macguy59 View Post
I've seen screenshots of the Zune Marketplace but I'm not making the connection you are ?
I'm not the only one - check out the live coverage. More than a few people thought "Zune" when it was shown.

Old 09-10-2009, 02:16 AM
dp
Pupil
Default One Thought

Quote:
The ability to sync music/videos from one PC to another is neat, but Apple is still focused on a peer to peer system and is ignoring users who want to centralize their media content (NAS drive, Windows Home Server, etc.). I wonder if
iTunes 9 will finally monitor music folders?

Folder monitoring accomplishes several things, and it's still not available in iTunes, but it's not just centralized storage. To your specific concern of central storage:

1. You can place a music library on a NAS/server/peripheral device, and then simply change the default library location to the address of this directory on any and/or all PCs on the network. Centralization problem solved.

2. With Bonjour on, you have access to all local network libraries anyway: centralization through decentralization. (And you could still opt to have a networked accessible centralized library too!)

*3. Throw in SimplifyMedia (and for special fun, if you can, Mojo), and you're money!

Last edited by dp; 09-10-2009 at 03:27 AM..

Old 09-10-2009, 03:05 AM
BBBikernerd
Neophyte
Talking HD has the edge

I think if Microsoft integrates X Box Live Arcade games into the HD, it will pull customers away from the iPod. The power of the Tegra kicks the Apple's butt. Also, if Microsoft had a decent selections of Apps, you will finally see competition for apple.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:29 PM
ptyork
Sage

Microsoft should put a camera at the TOP of their device so that users don't take pictures of their index fingers. Better yet, one that takes photos in addition to videos. Those are easy wins for Microsoft!!

Seriously, there's no point in a product like this that is generally held vertically to have a camera placed there. I also don't personally think that a camera on a PMP is all that necessary. A phone, yes. You always have that with you. A PMP? Just "nice to have"...maybe. If you look at the demos, it really appears to be a gimmick. Look at the video effects that must be pre-selected prior to recording and are permanently recorded onto the original video. Dumb. Obviously meant for teenagers--who'll already have phones, so???

LP? Again, gimmicky to me. I wonder if you can add your own content? Also, will the extras be DRM'ed. Otherwise, they'll be available within minutes on the net.

iPod touch, definitely a disappointment. In fact, the whole show would have to be labeled as such. Good to see Steve "vertical," but otherwise a waste of 50 F5-presses on a live blog.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:56 PM
doogald
Oracle

I have the iPod Radio Remote, which adds an FM radio to the iPod Nano and fat iPod, as well as the square shuffle like remote control. I haven't used it in years. I listen to FM radio when I am in the car, almost always NPR (and it frustrates me to no end when my attention wanders and I want to rewind a few seconds - podcasts of those shows are so much more convenient!) Occasionally I listen to music stations, like when the kids are in the car, and the ads frustrate me. So it goes; we're all different, I guess.

I use Nike+; of course, after I buy the 4Gm the 5G Nano adds Nike+ sensor built in- which also means that it adds a Bluetooth radio. Early prediction for September 2010 - the 6G Nano adds BT stereo headset support.

As for the video camera, I'd never use it, but I know that my son and his friends are making videos that they upload to YouTube all of the time, sometimes using the iSight on his Mac. It should be popular with that group. Of course, why they didn't add this to the Touch I don't understand . . . probably could not get the components for it at a price that would be profitable enough at the price levels the Touch is at.

I'm thinking that Apple is not all that impressed with HD content on a handheld device. My guess is that a vast, vast supermajority of video content is watched on the display of a device like this, not docked with a special dock connector to a TV (with no remote control.) Cool that Zune HD adds this, but my guess is that Apple loses very few customers to that particular feature. Over 20 million iPod Touches sold - another guess is that this device is so successful that Apple felt it didn't need to add much more to it (or, as I said earlier, the memory bump at the same price precluded adding more features for now.) If the Zune HD takes off, they can always update the device later on.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:03 PM
doogald
Oracle

Sorry to quote myself, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogald View Post
I have the iPod Radio Remote, which adds an FM radio to the iPod Nano and fat iPod, as well as the square shuffle like remote control. I haven't used it in years. I listen to FM radio when I am in the car, almost always NPR (and it frustrates me to no end when my attention wanders and I want to rewind a few seconds - podcasts of those shows are so much more convenient!) Occasionally I listen to music stations, like when the kids are in the car, and the ads frustrate me. So it goes; we're all different, I guess.
Well, the Nano has FM radio pausing and 15 minute rewind, so maybe I would use it ...

Quote:
I use Nike+; of course, after I buy the 4Gm the 5G Nano adds Nike+ sensor built in- which also means that it adds a Bluetooth radio. Early prediction for September 2010 - the 6G Nano adds BT stereo headset support.
Oops, I got that very wrong. Built in pedometer, not Nike+. Sorry about that.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:16 PM
Ron Hostetter
Thoughts Media Review Team

Quote:
Well, the Nano has FM radio pausing and 15 minute rewind, so maybe I would use it ...
I hadn't heard that. That would be a nice feature for Zune to add...

Old 09-09-2009, 11:05 PM
brianchris
Philosopher

My biggest disapointment? That iTunes 9 isn't officially compatible with Windows 7. I know eventually it will be, but I thought they were going to introduce that official compatability with 9.0.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:14 PM
paschott
Intellectual

I have to agree with the disappointment w/ Zune on the large storage capacity and the tag editing. Maybe the editing of tags will be better in the upcoming software release, but it doesn't sound that way. I'm disappointed about the storage capacity, but mostly because I don't want to swap songs in and out of my collection to fit on the device. That's just not a good experience.

Still, not planning to switch over to an iPod anytime soon - I just don't see the value for the money in most areas. Even if I weren't posting here, I'd probably be considering something like a Sansa Fuze w/ its ability to use memory cards.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:40 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by paschott View Post
I have to agree with the disappointment w/ Zune on the large storage capacity and the tag editing. Maybe the editing of tags will be better in the upcoming software release, but it doesn't sound that way.
What's the problem with tag editing exactly?