Digital Home Thoughts

Digital Home Thoughts - News & Reviews for the Digital Home

Register in our forums so you're ready for our next giveaway contest...

Zune Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > DIGITAL HOME THOUGHTS > Digital Home Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-20-2008, 09:21 PM
onlydarksets
Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
Agreed. Anyone who tries to crack the DRM on a music rental system (Zune Pass, etc.) is acting in an unethical manner because they're taking music they rented and they're trying to keep it permanently.

Agreed. Anyone who tries to crack the DRM on a DRM'd music file they bought, assuming they're not going to share the music with others, is acting ethically - they're only giving themselves access to the music they paid for. That's in sharp contrast to what inteller said though, so I don't see how you can be in agreement with him.
I agree with inteller that when you purchased a DRM license, you agreed to a limited use for the track. If you know that the limited use is unlimited plays on 3 machines or burning to 5 CDs or whatever, then that is the legal and ethical limit of what you can use it for. I didn't weigh in on what happens when the business goes under.

Quote:
It's interesting that you feel fair use applies to CDs, but not DRM'd tracks. What makes it different to you? That on a CD you didn't agree to a license that says "you have to authenticate the contents of this CD with a server before you can listen to it" but on a DRM'd track that's what you do agree to?
Exactly.

Quote:
Fair use to me is broader: it's looking with reasonable assumptions about what you paid for, and being able to use that, within reason, however you wish.
Fair use is about copyright law, not contract/licensee law. Fair use has no relevance when you've agreed to a particular use under contract.