Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 09-22-2004, 07:01 PM
Zero101
Ponderer
Send a message via AIM to Zero101 Send a message via Yahoo to Zero101
Default Nintendo DS

Nintendo announced the price and release date of their new portable game console yesterday....

...and the price and specs put most PDA's to shame. :cry:

For the cost of a Palm Zire 31, the Nintendo DS has the following specs:

- Two ARM processors

- Two 3" LCD screens... one of which is touch sensitive

- 802.11b wifi

- Stereo sound (one speaker on each side of the system)

- Li-Ion recharchable battery

8O

Granted.. I know the videogame business operates under a different business model than the PDA makers of the world... but good grief, that's a lot of nice hardware for a very reasonable price. I can't wait to see a PDA with those specs at a similiar pricepoint.

Old 09-22-2004, 07:04 PM
Wiggster
Philosopher
Send a message via AIM to Wiggster Send a message via MSN to Wiggster
Default Re: Nintendo DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero101
Granted.. I know the videogame business operates under a different business model than the PDA makers of the world... but good grief, that's a lot of nice hardware for a very reasonable price. I can't wait to see a PDA with those specs at a similiar pricepoint.
Yea, but Nintendo can stand to lose $300 on a $150 unit because they know they'll get it back with game licenses. Also, Nintendo doesn't have to deal nearly as much with warranty replacements as PDA makers do. So while the PDA makers can't make much extra money on a PDA after it's sold, and have to use overhead to cover service and support, it'll be a while before we see them at the same price as comparable game consoles. :|

Old 09-22-2004, 07:08 PM
ignar
Thinker

Yes, it's pretty impressive specs. I wonder if someone can develop a PDA pack so that we can use it like a PDA? I also read this article this morning.

Old 09-22-2004, 08:45 PM
JackTheTripper
Sage
Send a message via AIM to JackTheTripper

Someone should have a contest. First person to load Windows Mobile on it get's $xxxx :lol:

Old 09-22-2004, 08:47 PM
dean_shan
Mystic

Nintendo takes a profit loss on the systems. They make all their money on software.

Old 09-23-2004, 12:42 AM
Fishie
Pontificator

Nintendo is one the only videogame company that does everything it can to NOT make hardware at a loss.
Its the reason they neutered the snes, n64, GB, GBA and GC from their original specs.

For snes the design documents clearly stated it had to be delivered at 99$ at a profit.

Most of their other hardware had features removed until they could meet a price point where they wouldnt lose money on the hardware(its why the N64 didnt have an optical drive and no dedicated sound hardware like it did in the original SG designs, its why the Snes lacked the dsp chips(forcing Nintendo to include the dsp chip in every single launch game since the games had been programmed with the dsp in mind) and the fast 16bit 68k processor) etcetera etcetera.

The GC at 99$ is the first time Nintendo sold hardware at a loss to my knoledge.

I am also pretty sure that manufacturing the DS costs them below 200$.