Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 07-20-2004, 03:42 AM
jonathanchoo
Theorist

In Japan, they already have 25mbps for more than half a year.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3278375.stm

Old 07-20-2004, 04:55 AM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanchoo
In Japan, they already have 25mbps for more than half a year.
Yeah, yeah. They're far ahead of us in everything. I know. :P

--janak

Old 07-20-2004, 05:43 AM
ChuckyRose
Pupil

Actually, the big thing now is 45Mbit. That's been available for almost 6 months now too. Yahoo! BB is offering it.

http://bbpromo.yahoo.co.jp/ (in Japanese)

I'm curious. How many people have fiber to their homes in other parts of the U.S./World? I know that a number of years ago, the city of Tacoma, WA (a some-what decent sized city) started a project to lay fiber optic cable to everyone in the city. They've been doing it for I don't know how long now, but anyone else have it?

Old 07-20-2004, 10:31 AM
theone3
Intellectual
Default Re: Verizon To Deliver High-Speed Fiber To Homes

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUKid7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janak Parekh
30Mbps? Fiber!? Wow. Suddenly my ~ 2Mbps cable modem at home feels really slow. 8O
Yeah but what's it capped at? No way they will allow 30Mbps transfers.
Hah! That is the capping. Top quality fiber transmission is capable of a good 1 terrabaud, and transmitters are getting faster every day.A terrabaud will fill your 80GB HDD in less than 1/10th of a second.

I want uncapped :devilboy:

Old 07-20-2004, 10:52 AM
scargill
Ponderer

What I've been led to believe (but I may be 100% of wrong) is that in Japan, the phone network, infrastructure and systems were built recently, and with new technology and new technologies in mind, alot of the Japanese phone network is fibre and has been for the last 10 or so years.
In the US (and even more so in the UK where I am) alot of the cabling is copper, thin and deteriorating, it wasn't even designed to carry digital signals of any kind; mind about 10+mbps of data, in fact in some areas people still can't get broadband and can only get 30kbps out of dial up because the cabling is so poor.

Old 07-20-2004, 11:10 AM
Chucky
Ponderer

I think the great thing about this is it is essentially future proof. Initally 30mbs, but as was posted above theoretically over 1gbs with ideally no major change in infrastructure (the last mile solution which requires any level of infrastructure change is going to be very expensive).

With a 1gbs you could have HD or higher quality video streamed to over ten tvs. Heaps left over for VOIP, game playing, downloading huge applications (really from a developer point of view making a program with a code size of over a gigabyte isn't really feasible for anything except enterprise applications and operating systems) and pretty much anything else.

DSL is certainly getting very very good (45mbs in Japan sounds very nice) but copper is physically limited because you are using electrons. Photons also have there limits, but they of a magnitude greater than that of copper. Also thinking way ahead, quantum computing anyone? Good luck trying to send qbits in electrons encoded in the spin direction, some are trying...all I can say is good luck. Photons on the other hand can have qbits encoded based on phase, many experiments have shown it, the only question is can it go down a fibre cable without being corrupted?

Old 07-20-2004, 12:43 PM
Jonathan1
Pontificator

A friend of mine has fiber in Washington DC. I get this urge to slap the guy silly every time he mentions it.

I want my fiber dang it.

Old 07-20-2004, 01:41 PM
beq
Oracle

Quick question, what kind of modem/adapter (router) will be used for this Verizon FTTP fiber connection? Just curious what kind of cabling, connector, and link speed it will be?

Will it just be one of the standard fiber connections like we have on network switches (for example 100Base-FX, 1000Base-SX, etc -- SC/ST/MT-RJ/LC/etc connector -- multimode (62.5/50micron), single-mode (9micron) or other cablings -- etc)?

Or will they just terminate the fiber with a converter at the demarc then run a standard DSL copper connection to your router inside?

Old 07-20-2004, 05:15 PM
kosmicki
Intellectual

Agggh, I just know this technologically backwards town I�m in wont get anything like that till AFTER I leave it� Cable here sucks, 1Mbps is the high speed package around here� (Granted it IS better then my 2.5KBps dialup...)

�So Mr. Kosmicki, why did you choose to move here for this job?�

�Fiber�

�What�

�Fiber internet, I wanted it�

�You moved a thousand miles for higher speed Internet?�

�Hmm... Yep. Sure did.�

I already know any house locating will involve the location of cable for internet. Lets not be silly here�

Old 07-21-2004, 11:31 PM
Kacey Green
Pontificator

If you use a wirless network now is a good reason to upgrade to 802.11 a or g or later