Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 07-20-2004, 03:25 AM
Kati Compton
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!
Default I need some Turkish Delight!

Okay, if you don't know what Turkish Delight is, get your mind out of the gutter.

It can be most quickly described as soft gummy candy with a powdered sugar coating -- but better.

There was a store near me that used to carry it, both in fruit flavors and the rose flavor. But they no longer carry it! I miss it.

I found the rose flavor at a few online British candy sites. I'd like the fruit flavored kind too, though. Not mint, though - that just doesn't work for me. And I don't mean the chocolate-covered jelly that is the Cadbury/Frys variety.

So, I figure there have to be a few transplants to the US that have found a place to get it. Anyone have a website?

There are the ones I've tried:

Shop England Online
BritishCandy.com (disclaimer - they have some... let's just say "unusual" candy there, but not shown on the main page. Not for kids.)
Britsuperstore E-Shop
British Delights (I had high hopes for this one given the name)
UK Goods

Well, even if no one knows where I can get fruit-flavored Turkish Delight, I hope that these links help somebody in North America find candy that they've missed.

By the way - my local source for this type of candy is a great chain store: Cost Plus World Market. Think Pier One Imports but less expensive, plus international food stuff. Very useful. They have stores in a lot of states.

Old 07-20-2004, 04:12 AM
Kati Compton

Oh - and I always wanted to try this stuff since I read about it in the Narnia series. It sounded so tasty - though I was a bit wrong as to my guess of what it was. But I tried it finally, and now I want more...

Here's a direct link to the rose kind so you can see it: http://shop.store.yahoo.com/shopengl...turdelics.html

Update: found this: http://www.tulumba.com/icy_items.asp?Cc=FB_DES_DELIG

But I *know* there's the fruit-flavored kind in an octagonal box SOMEWHERE. I've had it. This other place has orange... And *carrot*?

Old 07-20-2004, 04:32 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Re: I need some Turkish Delight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kati Compton
And I don't mean the chocolate-covered jelly that is the Cadbury/Frys variety.
Hehe, don't you like those ones?

Old 07-20-2004, 04:36 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

My memory seems to be telling me that I can get this at any local Canadian store. I'll check the next time I'm out...

Old 07-20-2004, 04:55 AM
Kati Compton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
My memory seems to be telling me that I can get this at any local Canadian store. I'll check the next time I'm out...
If not, I'll just have to wait until I'm back in Carmel, CA. They have a candy shop there that sells it fresh...

Old 07-20-2004, 05:21 AM
karinatwork
Philosopher

Isn't it horrible when you're used to a certain candy and then they don't sell it anymore??? When I moved from Europe to Canada, oh my, what a bummer. My favorite chocolate of all times (Yogurette) made by Ferrero (the guys who make the Kinder Surprise Eggs) is not available anywhere in North America. OH-MY-GOD. I was almost ready to call off the wedding and head back home. In the end I've gotten used to not having it, but then again, sometimes, it's kinda tough.

Strange how when I don't have real problems in my life, I'll always find a way to create some sorrow out of thin air...

K.

Old 07-20-2004, 05:42 AM
freitasm
Oracle

We can find it here in the supermarkets... And there's a Turkish restaurant open until 4am in downtown that if you just ask "Can I have one TD?" they give it for free - but we don't tell anyone otherwise they might stop doing this...

Old 07-20-2004, 05:51 AM
Kati Compton

Quote:
Originally Posted by karinatwork
Isn't it horrible when you're used to a certain candy and then they don't sell it anymore??? When I moved from Europe to Canada, oh my, what a bummer. My favorite chocolate of all times (Yogurette) made by Ferrero (the guys who make the Kinder Surprise Eggs) is not available anywhere in North America. OH-MY-GOD. I was almost ready to call off the wedding and head back home. In the end I've gotten used to not having it, but then again, sometimes, it's kinda tough.
Well, you can't get Kinder eggs in the US in general. Though I've seen them in Canada. Something about a children's swallowing hazard.

Old 07-20-2004, 01:46 PM
manywhere
Theorist
Send a message via MSN to manywhere
Default Re: I need some Turkish Delight!

Quote:
It can be most quickly described as soft gummy candy with a powdered sugar coating -- but better.
Hmmm... that made me think of Finlandia jellies. (My candy tooth starts to ache, again... )

However, that might not really be the right one you're looking for, since they are covered by "regular" sugar -- not the powdered one... :roll: and also made of jelly...

Does anyone remember the manufaturer name or US importer's name of the Turkish delights? Or, maybe could someone "dig it up"??
That would be a good starting point, anyways.

Old 07-20-2004, 01:56 PM
SteveHoward999
Pontificator

Quote:
Well, you can't get Kinder eggs in the US in general. Though I've seen them in Canada. Something about a children's swallowing hazard.

Quite right too - horrible things.

I was pleased to learn we can get Cadbury's Creme Eggs though :-)

- S