Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 07-09-2004, 04:04 AM
Kati Compton
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!
Default Re: Spoofing E-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony99CA
If you believe this story, it's not so long-term. They claim spam can be beaten in two years. Of course, that assumes pretty much world-wide agreements on spam control. :lol:
That article says that up to 10% of recipients fall for the "update your bank info" spam. 8O

Old 07-09-2004, 04:14 AM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kati Compton
That article says that up to 10% of recipients fall for the "update your bank info" spam. 8O
I'm not surprised. Why would they know otherwise? We take all of our intuition for granted, but a lot of it is reinforced by knowledge that we've built up over the years.

That, and there are a lot of idiots on this planet. :P The saddest stories I've read are the ones who try to follow through on a Nigerian scam, even traveling to foreign countries, etc.

--janak

Old 07-09-2004, 08:42 AM
Pony99CA
Swami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janak Parekh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kati Compton
I'm not surprised. Why would they know otherwise? We take all of our intuition for granted, but a lot of it is reinforced by knowledge that we've built up over the years.
I almost fell for a fake PayPal notice. I had clicked on the link but either noticed the address bar was fake or double-checked the URL in my E-mail client (the link looked like a PayPal link, but that was just the text between the anchor tags).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janak Parekh
That, and there are a lot of idiots on this planet. :P The saddest stories I've read are the ones who try to follow through on a Nigerian scam, even traveling to foreign countries, etc.
Tech TV used to have a show called "Cyber Crime", and they had a story about someone who went to Africa and was held for ransom.

On the positive side, I've heard of someone who actually got a Nigerian scumbag to send him money for something (and didn't send the Nigerian any money). If I recall, the guy was kind of an Internet hero. :-D

Spammers are low-life losers, but phishers are much worse. At least most spammers won't siphon your life savings or steal your identity.

By the way, PC World had an interesting interview with alleged spammer Scott Richter of OptInRealBig.

Steve

Old 07-19-2004, 06:15 PM
Kacey Green
Pontificator

they probably would if given the chance