Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 06-26-2004, 12:35 AM
Saxmoore
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kati Compton
Oh - I should add...

As the person that gets the newsletter bounces from PPCT, I'd like to ask people to PLEASE unsubscribe rather than spam-block. Steve handles the unsubscribe requests himself, there is no list, etc. It would help reduce the 300-500 bounces a week I have to scan to remove "user unknowns". This really sucks up a lot of time each week, so if people can spend 5 seconds to reduce that, I'd like them to.

And if you are a registered user, and don't know what I'm talking about when I say "newsletter", your ISP is probably blocking it as spam. Just send a note to moderator@ and we'll remove you so I don't get your bounce. Thanks!
Edit: Nevermind. I finally figured out which address to place in my hotmail allow list!

Old 06-26-2004, 12:52 AM
Pony99CA
Swami
Default Re: Spam Egg Spam Spam Bacon And Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by daS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony99CA
Yeah, I like that. I suggested a different kind of honeypot last year, but it was designed to waste spammers' time and bandwidth.
I like your idea as well.
The downside with my honeypot is that it would likely result in a lot more spam on the Internet, further clogging things up. But it would also reduce the spammers chances of hitting somebody real, so I'm torn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daS
I also started changing my mailto links to the ASCII (Bob Bemer R.I.P.) codes for each character. But I think that most spiders have been updated to figure that one out. :?
Not many seem to have been, actually. I only get one spam to my Web E-mail addresses a month (if that), and I only encode the "@". Of course, maybe my Web site isn't as popular as I hoped. :-D

The spams I do get at the Web addresses seem to be Nigerian scams, not your generic garage.

Steve

Old 06-26-2004, 12:59 AM
Pony99CA
Swami
Default E-mail Harvesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard
I get over 300 spam every day, largely due to pocketnow's long-standing policy of making contributors include their email address in articles. Though it's been a long while since I wrote anything for the site, still those addresses are being harvested. Some days I get as many as 500.
I've only written three reviews for pocketnow, but I think I've only gotten one or two spams since I started. I can't imagine getting 300 or more a day. :-( Maybe CAN-SPAM is having some effect on harvesting.

I also wonder why pocketnow (or any similar site) would require an E-mail address, especially when every review or article has a discussion forum linked to it. If anything, clicking the author's name should take the user to the Private Message entry screen.

Steve

Old 07-19-2004, 03:52 PM
Kacey Green
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_shan
I proud to say the my 'real' email address is spamfree. I have only recieved 5 or so spam messages from when I set it up last year.
same here

Old 07-19-2004, 03:58 PM
Kacey Green
Pontificator
Default Re: E-mail Harvesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony99CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard
I get over 300 spam every day, largely due to pocketnow's long-standing policy of making contributors include their email address in articles. Though it's been a long while since I wrote anything for the site, still those addresses are being harvested. Some days I get as many as 500.
I've only written three reviews for pocketnow, but I think I've only gotten one or two spams since I started. I can't imagine getting 300 or more a day. :-( Maybe CAN-SPAM is having some effect on harvesting.

I also wonder why pocketnow (or any similar site) would require an E-mail address, especially when every review or article has a discussion forum linked to it. If anything, clicking the author's name should take the user to the Private Message entry screen.

Steve
yeah, I couldn't imagine such a thing, I'd view that as an invaison of the author's privacy (even most print mags. online don't require something like this)