Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 03-18-2004, 11:04 PM
Hyperluminal
Thinker
Default DVD Music?

I was thinking of getting an album by The Corrs, but I was wondering something. You can get the regular album (In Blue) for like $15 from Amazon, but you can also get it new from their zShops for under $5, before shipping. Now I noticed that they also sell a DVD audio version of the same album for $15 (about $11 from zShops). I was wondering if it was worth getting the DVD one for a few dollars more...
Does anyone here have DVD music? I remember seeing, but I forget where, that DVD audio is encoded at least about twice as high as CD audio. It also has surround sound, but I don't have a surround sound audio system.
So is the sound quality that much better, to be worth it? Or would it be a waste of money?

Old 03-18-2004, 11:12 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

The problem with DVD audio is that I believe it's rather hard to rip. Since I encode all my music to Ogg, it's of no benefit to me qualitywise or difficultywise. If someone has more knowledge on this subject, feel free to correct me.

--janak

Old 03-18-2004, 11:18 PM
Jacob
Pontificator

It is hard to rip, I believe because the people who license the format for DVD-A players have a clause in the license that states that any player can't allow a direct rip capability. I'm pretty sure I saw this in a Soundblaster doc somewhere.

Many soundblasters do come with a tool that will essentially listen to the audio output line and record it - essentially ripping it, although at a lower quality than the DVD-A quality.

I'm not sure how good a quality the recording is though or how it compares.

Old 03-18-2004, 11:24 PM
Hyperluminal
Thinker

Wow, that's annoying. :?
Alright, thanks guys, guess I'll probably get the regular one...

Old 03-18-2004, 11:27 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

The reality is, at least from what I know, that to really hear the quality inherant in DVD audio you need a killer sound system. If you ask the average consumer what they think about CD sound, they probably can't imagine anything sounding better. I think DVD Audio will eventually make its way into the mainstream market, but only through slow substitution of CD - it will take well over a decade for DVD Audio to become significant.

Hey, this should be on www.digitalmediathoughts.com! ;-)

Old 03-18-2004, 11:46 PM
Hyperluminal
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
Hey, this should be on www.digitalmediathoughts.com! ;-)
D'oh! And I'm registered there too... ops: