Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 09-04-2003, 07:18 AM
qmrq
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetiteFlower
Hm I haven't noticed it in the mobile forums at all....
Unless I'm mistaken, the bug doesn't effect IE 3, which PIE is based on.

Old 09-04-2003, 11:22 PM
ctmagnus
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

It was on a WM2003 device I saw it. WM2003 utilizes

Quote:
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01;
Windows CE; PPC; 240x320)
although this bug only affects MSIE6. What I witnessed must have been a fluke then.

Old 09-05-2003, 03:27 PM
timothyt
Pupil
Send a message via MSN to timothyt
Default Re: The Most Irritating Internet Explorer Bug Ever Created

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
How on earth do glaringly obvious bugs like this slip based the QA guys working on Internet Explorer? Does Microsoft really not care any more now that they've conquered the browser market? :|
I had all three of these keys and took it a step further to find out WHICH program had put the keys in there. As it turns out the corresponding GUID (in the HKLM\CLASSES_ROOT key was "DAPIE.DownloadAcceleratorIE.1", aka "Download Accelerator Plus" which I'm sure many of us have installed. It's a fantastic utility but it appears that it, not Microsoft, is responsible for the problem, at least on my system.

I would imagine that other download accelerators which hook into IE to intercept clicked download links would also cause the problem. Just FYI.

Any extensible product like IE is going to have problems when a plug-in has a problem. Just yesterday I tried installing a plug-in to my Apache Tomcat server which brought the whole thing crashing down. Hardly Apache's fault, but I'm sure they get their fair share of blame from people over it. I guess if we want expandable products it's just part of the game...

Cheers

Old 11-13-2003, 02:57 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Re: The Most Irritating Internet Explorer Bug Ever Created

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyt
I had all three of these keys and took it a step further to find out WHICH program had put the keys in there. As it turns out the corresponding GUID (in the HKLM\CLASSES_ROOT key was "DAPIE.DownloadAcceleratorIE.1", aka "Download Accelerator Plus" which I'm sure many of us have installed. It's a fantastic utility but it appears that it, not Microsoft, is responsible for the problem, at least on my system.
I wish that solved the problem, but I don't have that on my system and I had the "ftp" key - and lots of broken graphic links. I'm using vanilla IE now, not MYIE2 or any other pseudo-browser.

Old 02-24-2004, 01:06 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Guess what? It's FTP Voyager that introduces that FTP registry key that causes the problems! :evil: I deleted the key, rebooted, and all the images were loading. I loaded FTP Voyager, then loaded IE, and once again my graphics were broken - and the registry key was back. Grr. Contacting FTP Voyager now...

Old 02-24-2004, 05:25 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Ok, FTP Voyager support got back to me, and it is an IE problem after all. Figures. :lol:

The fix is here:

http://www.rhinosoft.com/kbsearch.asp?prod=fv

Then look up reference number 1188

Microsoft has documented this problem here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;Q313712

What's frustrating to me is that they have a hotfix, but you need to contact Microsoft to get it. Come on, just release the fix to the public already!

Old 02-24-2004, 09:33 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
What's frustrating to me is that they have a hotfix, but you need to contact Microsoft to get it. Come on, just release the fix to the public already!
I don't think they're releasing the fix. :| Note that the advisory refers to IE 5.5. This has been a known problem for quite some time... and worse, the "patch" only applies to IE 5.5.

--janak