Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 12-09-2003, 11:20 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godsongz
The EF-S lens apparently was made specifically for the Digital Rebel. Does that mean that the EF-S can't be used with other Canon bodies even though all the EF lenses can be used with the Digital Rebel?
I'm not an expert on leses, but as far as I understand it, they CAN be used on the Digital Rebel. A friend of mine has a 35mm Rebel and we took her lens and put it on my camera - it worked fine (I couldn't believe how noisy the drive motor was though!).

Old 12-10-2003, 01:10 AM
Wiggin
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godsongz
The EF-S lens apparently was made specifically for the Digital Rebel. Does that mean that the EF-S can't be used with other Canon bodies even though all the EF lenses can be used with the Digital Rebel?
I'm not an expert on leses, but as far as I understand it, they CAN be used on the Digital Rebel. A friend of mine has a 35mm Rebel and we took her lens and put it on my camera - it worked fine (I couldn't believe how noisy the drive motor was though!).
The EF-S lens does not fit all other Canon bodies. I have a V1, and the EF-S that came with the Digital Rebel does not fit the V1. The depth of the EF-S lens (at the mount) is deeper than standard lenses, so it hits the mirror in the V1. But, as Jason says, all of the Canon-compatible lenses fit the Dig Rebel, so at least you can carry forward.

Old 12-10-2003, 01:14 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggin
The EF-S lens does not fit all other Canon bodies. I have a V1, and the EF-S that came with the Digital Rebel does not fit the V1. The depth of the EF-S lens (at the mount) is deeper than standard lenses, so it hits the mirror in the V1. But, as Jason says, all of the Canon-compatible lenses fit the Dig Rebel, so at least you can carry forward.
Whoops - this shows you how much I know about SLR cameras. ops: So the EF-S is the new "digital friendly" type of lens that the Digital Rebel comes with? And EF is the normal 35mm lens?

Old 12-10-2003, 02:42 AM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
Whoops - this shows you how much I know about SLR cameras. ops: So the EF-S is the new "digital friendly" type of lens that the Digital Rebel comes with? And EF is the normal 35mm lens?
Not even that. No Canon SLR, even the 10D or the 1Ds, can handle the lens that came with your Digital Rebel, Jason. The Digital Rebel is the only camera that can accept EF-S lenses right now, and the lens that comes with it is, to the best of my knowledge, the only EF-S lens in the market. Every other EF lens works with the Digital Rebel and other Canon SLRs, be they digital or otherwise.

From a review I read, the EF-S protrudes into the body more than the EF lenses do, allowing the EF-S lens to be more compact. I'm not an expert, but I read this in detail in a review somewhere. Probably on DPReview.

--janak

Old 12-10-2003, 06:51 AM
cmariotti
Pupil
Default Re: I'm in Love With a Rebel, and Her Name is EOS

Quote:
Where to Buy
The price point of the Rebel is simply amazing - I paid $1300 CAN for my Canon G2 a little over a year ago, and for only $300 CAN more you can buy a Rebel from a local store - not that I did mind you, because it was cheaper for me to order it when I was in the US. :wink: The Rebel's MSRP is $999 USD for the camera plus a 18-55mm lens, or $899 for the camera body alone. It's a no-brainer to get the body+lens package, because the lens is worth far more than $99 USD alone. Interested in buying a Rebel Digital EOS? State Street Direct [Affiliate] has competitive pricing, and you'll be supporting this site if you buy from them.
Okay, was just browsing around the local Futureshop in Kingston, Ontario Canada... Saw they had a Rebel in the display case... The person behind the counter asked me if I needed help... Since it wasn't on display (opened with a price tag), I said, so how much is the Rebel selling for. She said smiling... As of this morning, I have been told the price will drop to $1200 Cdn. I asked if it included the lense, she said yes. So, those shopping in Canada, you should call your local Futureshop to see if it really is going to go down in price that much, so soon.

Old 12-10-2003, 02:44 PM
yslee
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janak Parekh
From a review I read, the EF-S protrudes into the body more than the EF lenses do, allowing the EF-S lens to be more compact. I'm not an expert, but I read this in detail in a review somewhere. Probably on DPReview.
To add, the EF-S mount is a bit different; I think there's a physical modification that prevents it from being mounted on non EF-S compatible cameras (ie. any EOS camera save the 300D).

The EF-S lens(es, if ever) have a shorter back focus, hence it allows a shorter focal length than normal lenses that need to clear a normal 35mm SLRs mirror box. I'm not sure if it'll form an image circle that covers the area of 35mm film or just the 300D's sensor only.

Old 12-12-2003, 12:28 AM
cchall
Neophyte
Default I'm in Love With a Rebel, and Her Name is EOS

I have been waiting for an affordable digital camera from Canon that might accept my Tameron lenses. I have a Canon EOS Elan II with several Tamron lenses. Does anyone know if I could use these with the Rebel EOS digital??? Santa says he will get me this camera for Christmas; so a rapid reply would be great.

Thanks to all!

Chris Hall