Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 01-05-2003, 08:08 PM
Foo Fighter
Pontificator
Send a message via MSN to Foo Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker
...but in the last month, I found it impossible to recommend even a $199 after rebate Axim to a user who wants to have their address book and datebook, and that's it. I mentioned the lack of a backlight, and her response was "I didn't use a backlight before." She bought a Zire and is thrilled.
Hate to sound like a defeatist, but I think this is a growing trend. In fact, I'm finding it harder and harder to convince people to buy any PDA. Most simply don't see them as a necessity. I sincerely hope this is merely a side effect of the slumping economy, but I think there are other issues involved.

Quote:
...but the bottom line is a vast number of people see the capabilities of a PocketPC as unnecessary. I hazard a guess that people will get only what they think they will use. most people will not see the video/multimedia capabilities of PPC (and of high-end Palms/Clies for that matter) as something they cannot live without.
Yep. In the past 4 weeks I have converted two Palm users over to the PPC side (now proud Axim owners). But they are what I would label power users or "prosumers" like myself. On the other hand, I have to fight like hell to newbies to jump on the PDA bandwagon. The excuse I get is....."My cell phone does all that"...or..."I don't need all those fancy features". And I was recommending the Sony SJ20: Monochrome screen, basic PIM functions...that's it. Fancy features? 8O

Old 01-05-2003, 08:12 PM
Kati Compton
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

I think it's important to remember that some people actually don't need/want those things. That it wouldn't enrich their lives to have a PDA, let alone a PPC... I don't think this is a bad "trend", just an indication that not everyone likes gadgets as much as we do.

Old 01-05-2003, 08:24 PM
Foo Fighter
Pontificator
Send a message via MSN to Foo Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kati42
...just an indication that not everyone likes gadgets as much as we do.
Exactly right. I know the priorities in spending among this community are far different than the rest of our society.

For example, if I offered to give away $300 to anyone here, what would they buy?

Answer...probably a PDA or some some PDA related accessory like SD cards, WiFi hardware, leather case. Something tech.

But if I offered the average teenager that same amount of cash, a PDA would be at the bottom of the list. The first thing they would buy is some stylish clothes...then maybe a console game, or gaming device like a Gameboy Advance. Cell phone [i]maybe[/b]. That's about it.

Old 01-05-2003, 08:33 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo Fighter
But if I offered the average teenager that same amount of cash, a PDA would be at the bottom of the list. The first thing they would buy is some stylish clothes...then maybe a console game, or gaming device like a Gameboy Advance. Cell phone [i]maybe[/b]. That's about it.
You know it. I commute through midtown every day. The really well-dressed people walking around Herald Square has more money invested in the outfit that they have on than I have in all my gadgets combined. 8O

However, talking generally doesn't help us identify the size of the PDA market. For all these people who don't use PDA's, I see a ton of people on the subway now, of all shapes, sizes, and colors, whipping out their Palm's or even iPaq's and either playing games or taking notes. About 2-3 years ago, it was very rare to see this happen. Now, it's very, very commonplace. At least from the NYC standpoint, PDA's are far more common and visible now. I submit to you that, at least in the NY metropolitan area, PDA's have been very successful.

--janak

Old 01-05-2003, 10:37 PM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo Fighter
For example, if I offered to give away $300 to anyone here, what would they buy?
Thanks Foo - very kind of you! I'll have a 400Mhz Dell Axim Please. Just send it to the usual address. Cheers. :wink:

Old 01-05-2003, 11:35 PM
Will T Smith
Thinker
Default Re: Not PS2, PSone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janak Parekh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will T Smith
Someone we often overlook is a leading provider for vertical applications ... Symbol. Their line of ruggedized PocketPCs with integrated bar-code scanners and Wi-Fi make them ideal for the blue-collar side of enterprise.
Ah, that's a good point as well - ruggedization. HP tried to tap the market slightly with a ruggedized cover, but I don't think it ever took off.

Ed, re the 5450, it really depends on the application. If you're doing warehousing, neither of these units are rugged enough in the first place. For those not doing Wi-Fi, i.e., low white collar workers, the Dell might be a great choice. I think HP is targeting the high end white-collar/IT types with the 5450, at least right now, until they drop the price.

Hey, variety is good, eh? 8)

--janak
A screen cover does not make a ruggedized device. The casing and ability to withstand shocks from drops, throws or being sat upon, that makes it rugged.

iPaq already has one strike against it because it's casing is designed so that expansion packs slide on smoothly. This is great for expansion packs but as MANY have noted it makes the surface of the iPaq analogous to teflon. It slips through your hand.

For a good comparative reference between iPaq and Axim, browse over to PocketPC Passion http://www.pocketpcpassion.com. Dale Coffig(an iPaq user(among others)) really focuses on this area. Specifically, he likens the casing of the Dell to that of a dog toy, tough and rubbery. Just the kind of thing needed to keep it in your hand AND keep it intact should it fall. Too bad they didn't take the natural step further and give it a lid :-)

Regarding TCO:
In some cases where a an uber device is required, the 5450 with integrated everything does make more sense than the Dell Axim. However, I really believe that most people overestimate the relevance of Wi-Fi in a business environment. It's a topic that gives IT managers a serious headache.

For a disconnected "out of office" workforce. Wi-Fi makes no sense at all. For office wanderers, the PDA represents a sattelite to the desktop unit where core PDA functionality is valued most highly. In these scenarios bluetooth makes more sense due to it's ability to connect with cell phones which "remote-enable" data access when a worker is off-site (sales meeting, power lunch, etc...) Obviously bluetooths power requirements are advantageous when compard to the Wi-Fi power-hog.

Wi-Fi makes more sense amongst the "blue-collar" workforce. In that mode PDAs are used to query and update data sources as well as to interact with workflow servers which automates the "work-order" process. These workers typically need the ability to roam over a larger area (like a warehouse, store or construction site) and constantly remain connected.

In either case, the addition of a $50-$100 CF card hardly makes up for the $400-$600 price difference between Dell Axim and iPaq 54xx. Regarding spare inventory, if an iPaq breaks(not a very unlikely scenario considering "teflon" casing" and poor track record) one must replace the device. A broken network card only requires a new card which can be obtained (without inventory) from a local supplier.

iPaq is truly a really cool device. However, it is a bit unpractical. It's like a bit like a Corvette, where an Axim or Jornada would be likened to a Honda Sedan.

BTW, I really love the new iPaq 1910 device. The only thing that truly dissapoints me is the lack of a lid and adherence to iPaq's "teflon" casing.

Old 01-06-2003, 02:11 PM
Timothy Rapson
Thinker
Default Re: Misc retorts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will T Smith
Sony has an able and sturdy technology available for a high-capacity mini-PS. It's called mini-disc. My guess is such a device would also play MP3 and WMA files. Add a low-res camera with a memory stick and you have a juvenile PDA ready for the masses.

What a brilliant idea. I was looking at MiniDisc over Christmas and find that they store something like 4 times as much as a mini-CD, cost far less, and play for a LONG time on simple batteries.

A device such as that you describe might unseat Gamboy Advance just as the original PlayStation tromped the SNES.

Old 11-24-2003, 06:36 PM
ux4484
Thinker

well foo....

looks like you hit above 80% again

good job

Old 11-24-2003, 11:08 PM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami

.....and for next year??? 8)