Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-23-2003, 08:30 PM
Marc Zimmermann
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry
Put your DRM audio files on an MP3 card and then try to listen to it on another device.
No problem. A storage card with WMA DRM files can be used in any CE 3.0 based device, even a Handheld PC 2000. The Media Player for the CE 2.11 based Palm-size PC couldn't play the files, but otherwise the files are apparently tied to the card, not the device.

Quote:
I seem to remember a conversation you were involved in a few years ago and couldn't demonstrate the particular problem you were having with some MP3 or WMA files. Fall of 2000 I believe. Why couldn't you demonstrate it? Because the files were DRM encrypted.
Actually, the card had become corrupted. It had nothing to do with DRM. The fact that Media Player hung due to the corruption caused me more anger than DRM... ;-)

Quote:
It is about who the rights belong to, and it isn't my device, despite how many DRM schemes seem to work.
I'm with you in disliking DRM and copy protection. However, I don't agree with you with regard to the Microsoft implementations. These schemes seem to be more of a problem for the power users that we are rather than they affect the majority of users. Overall, while I'd prefer to not have to use them, I am finding them tolerable.

The reason for me not using Palm Reader is (a) the Palm logo upon startup ;-) and (b) I much prefer Reader's look and feel.