Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 09-14-2002, 05:30 AM
marlof
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Thanks all for the suggestions. I hear serveral Orinono/Avaya Silver or Gold, I hear one Netgear. Of both I've read other reports that compared to the WPC11 they have a far better range, so these are the ones I'd been thinking about myself. Will see if I can find any of those.

As for Bev: the direction of the anttena is no longer it. I've fiddled with that so long, that now at least the USB adaptor has reception. Before even that didn't. Still the PC Card can't seem to find it, not even if I hold my notebook so the antenna is aimed vertically.

I will keep you all updated on my experiences from time to time.

Old 09-14-2002, 11:07 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlof Bregonje
Thanks all for the suggestions. I hear serveral Orinono/Avaya Silver or Gold, I hear one Netgear. Of both I've read other reports that compared to the WPC11 they have a far better range, so these are the ones I'd been thinking about myself. Will see if I can find any of those.
Without a doubt, get the ORiNOCO Gold adapter. They are available internationally. Some of my friends have literally doubled their range with it. Besides, you can also buy a Range Extender antenna (http://www.orinocowireless.com/templ...10&envelope=93), which increases the range another 20% or so.

I don't think the Linksys base stations themselves have as much range issues, but if you do have some time and access to an ORiNOCO base station, consider the Broadband Gateway (BG-2000); I've been pretty happy with those. But start with the PC card first. The Linksys PC cards should be pulled off the market IMHO.

--bdj