Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 03-05-2002, 09:34 PM
JohnnyFlash
Philosopher
Default Let me clarify

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMountford
To make sure I make myself clear, I don't just want a CDMA handset I want one that works on the SPrint PCS network that meats my requirements.
I don't want to dissapoint you but I am 99% sure that you will not see CDMA version of this phone... you can forget it actually. Some companies think that GSM and W-CDMA is a future and not CDMA and 1x !

Old 03-05-2002, 10:43 PM
st63z
Philosopher

To be fair, I believe there will also be a fair share of CDMA2000 Bluetooth smartphones available in the US -- Qualcomm's very widely used next-gen MSM chipsets will see to that (plus there have already been CMDA commitment announcements from companies like MS, Palm, Intel, TI, Mot, etc -- so there will also be ARM PDA phones). In fact, the CDMA camp is the first combine 2.5G/3G, Bluetooth, gpsOne (hybrid cellular/satellite GPS), etc...

That said, my personal cellular plan is still entrenched in GSM :-)

Anyways, I've been wondering about this rumoured new T68i model! -- can anyone provide more details (in English please)? From what I've read, I'm guessing it's just the T68m with a slightly redesigned body (using more cheaper-feeling plastic than rubber), with the latest updated firmware (supporting MMS), and possibly with more memory? I guess it's good in that Sony Ericsson's probably fixed the existing bugs in the T68m (like slightly weak signal reception, GPRS problems with VoiceStream's network, etc)? AT&T Wireless is supposed to be selling the T68 very soon in their new GSM markets (and VS is rumored to follow in a couple of months?), but I suppose both of them will offer the older T68m?

Would it be worth it to wait and even pay a premium for a new imported T68i even if the T68m is available with a much cheaper subsidized price locally?

Old 03-05-2002, 10:45 PM
SwitchBlade
Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy1980
So Sony doesn't have a say in Sony Ericsson? BS! I just think it's odd that they wouldn't have pushed Palm, believe me I like Symbian better, I guess as Jmountford hinted at Symbian is better as a phone os than a stand alone so it's more suited to this situation....?
TBH Palm at the moment have the worst PDA OS available, even M$' offering is better. Maybe in a year or so when the ex-Be engineers have had a chance to sort them out they will be in a position to try and compete with M$ and Symbian. At the moment I doubt anyone has seriously considered Palm as a viable OS as a smartphone.

SwitchBlade

Old 03-05-2002, 11:00 PM
JohnnyFlash
Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by st63z
Would it be worth it to wait and even pay a premium for a new imported T68i even if the T68m is available with a much cheaper subsidized price locally?

Well, main idea behind T68i is: "take T68, add MMS, add possibility to attach still camera to send shots as MMS" and sell it to naive.

I actually advise you not to buy not-smartphone if it does not have Java - it simply is not worth it.

Just look around, and search for phone that has: a. bluetooth, b. gprs, c. mms. d. java. e. gsm band working in your country. f. has color screen.

and if you don't see it right now, wait.

this is not ranting, but informing. sorry in advance!

Old 03-06-2002, 04:20 AM
entropy1980
Oracle

I will advise to buy only if it doesn't include Java, it can be added on and until there is something I can't get except on Java it's just one more thing I won't use and don't need. Anything written for Java can be written to run on just about any platform so no wories if it is an important app someone will write it, it's a basic principle of economics, if people want something and are willing to pay someone will step up and make money writing it, so no Java- no worries!

Old 03-09-2002, 11:53 AM
lordtech
Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpaq
By the way, looking left to right, the first picture shows no flip number pad but pictures 2 and 3 do.

What's up wit dat?

Who are these people?
-Seinfeld
U can switch between only stylus use or the flip-numpad. The numpad is detachable and the joints are hidden with the panel u see in the picture without numpad.

-Lordtech