¹ Sync Media Player with Zune? - Page 2 - Thoughts Media Forums Zune Thoughts

Zune Thoughts.com

Thanks for visiting Zune Thoughts - be sure to register in our forums!

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Windows Phone Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > ZUNE THOUGHTS > Zune Talk

Old 10-25-2007, 03:23 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelby756 View Post
Do I understand that an I-Pod will infact work okay with Windows Media, if so isn't that funny.
No, the iPod has the hardware to play WMA files, but Apple disabled it because they don't want to support Microsoft file formats. That's why I'm suggesting re-ripping to MP3, because that will work in ANY player.

Old 10-25-2007, 04:13 AM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

And NO the ipod does not work with Windows Media Player. You need i-Tunes loaded to sync the iPod. That's why you need to load Zune desktop, or Zune sync or whatever it is called. The model of having proprietary sync software worked so well, MS was sure they had to copy it to compete.

Old 10-26-2007, 03:32 PM
shelby756
Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
All I can think of is that you re-rip your music without having that option turned on, ideally in MP3 format.
Thanks again Jason for the help and I hope to be around for a while. Okay I am biting that bullet you spoke of and re-ripping my music (ickkkkk). I have now unchecked the "copy protect music" and am ripping in the mp3 format. Hope this is correct. Funny how things are stated. I had previously saw where it said "copy protect music" and simply read it as "Yes, copy protected music". Tricky!!! I am sure I will be back with more questions as time goes on, glad to have found Thoughts Media Forums.

***long quote trimmed by mod JD***

Old 10-27-2007, 05:21 AM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

Do a couple of albums (I think you call them CDs now) and try a sync to make sure it works. If everything is cool, do the rest. Hate for you to rip the whole mess over and have missed some setting that bites you.

Old 10-27-2007, 03:58 PM
shelby756
Neophyte
Default Installing and download - Zune

Thanks for the heads up, but I am ahead of you. I did a couple and it works just great............so simple when you know what to do!! One thing that is somewhat irritating with this Zune is when you load it, unless you fully understand what to do (and than even at that) EVERYTHING LOADS. It does not give the greatest instructions on how to not load everything and even than when a path is "ignored" it still picks it up. So now I have stuff on the software that I did not even know I had on my computer. So much to delete; might consider removing and reinstalling.

Okay, now since I am a real novice at much of this I could use a couple more tips. Wanting to down load movies; am told I can use Netflex movies with a conversion program? I also can not see on the Zune Marketplace where movies can be purchased (am I missing it). I have a few movies which I have not yet tried to put into Zune..............scary for a newbie. >>
>>
This is fun!!!! Thanks

Old 10-29-2007, 03:01 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
One thing that is somewhat irritating with this Zune is when you load it, unless you fully understand what to do (and than even at that) EVERYTHING LOADS. It does not give the greatest instructions on how to not load everything and even than when a path is "ignored" it still picks it up.
Yes, by default the Zune will load up all the music it can find. It sounds like you're saying it found music from all over your hard drive, which you don't want. Here's how to fix that:

Press F3 to get into MONITORED FOLDERS. Remove any of the folders you don't want the Zune software it to look in for music.

Then you can select all the music in your libraby and delete it - but ONLY delete it from the library, not from the computer (it doesn't delete by default, but there's an option in the section above to determine whether a delete is a real delete or just a remove).

After you've removed the music you can let it re-scan and it should pick up your music (just leave the software open for a while).

Quote:
Wanting to down load movies; am told I can use Netflex movies with a conversion program? I also can not see on the Zune Marketplace where movies can be purchased (am I missing it).
There isn't yet a way to purchase movies via the Zune marketplace. It's coming eventually, but for now, no movies. Regarding your Netflix movies, I'm pretty sure that they too have DRM - no one sells movies without it as far as I know. I did some research but I can't find what kind of portable devices, if any, are supported. I highly doubt the Zune will be supported, but you'd have to ask Netflix. Unfortunately at this point in time, the only way to get movies onto your Zune is by ripping DVDs.

Old 10-29-2007, 04:36 PM
shelby756
Neophyte

Quote:
Yes, by default the Zune will load up all the music it can find. It sounds like you're saying it found music from all over your hard drive, which you don't want.
I finally got how to do this; takes a few tries but eventually like with all things having to do with computers, IT SIMPLY TAKES PATIENCE.

Quote:
There isn't yet a way to purchase movies via the Zune marketplace. It's coming eventually, but for now, no movies. Regarding your Netflix movies, I'm pretty sure that they too have DRM - no one sells movies without it as far as I know. I did some research but I can't find what kind of portable devices, if any, are supported. I highly doubt the Zune will be supported, but you'd have to ask Netflix. Unfortunately at this point in time, the only way to get movies onto your Zune is by ripping DVDs.
Thanks for the confirmation regarding DVD's; greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Last edited by shelby756; 10-31-2007 at 01:24 AM..

Old 11-01-2007, 01:02 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
...apparently I need a "conversion" program? There is Windows Encoder, is that sufficient? I understand there are many many programs out there for $29 and $39, but I am scared they won't do what they say and are illegal.
If you live in the United States, technically you are breaking the law in decrypting the copyright protection on a DVD. That's the stupid DMCA law for you - there's certainly nothing immoral about ripping your own DVDs.

The first thing you need to get around that is AnyDVD, a program that seamlessly bypasses the copyright protection on commercial DVDs - you don't even have to run the program, it just sits there in the background and removes copyright protection. Use this link and use the coupon code halloween at checkout to save 20% off the program.

Now that you have AnyDVD and can work with commercial DVDs just as easily as if they're home-grown, you need a program to convert the DVD to a format that works with the Zune. The challenge here is that there are a LOT of programs that support the iPOD, PSP, etc...but a lot less that support the Zune. This is probably the best program I've seen for direct Zune support:

http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satelli.../1171405228635

Hope this all helps!

Old 11-01-2007, 05:58 AM
shelby756
Neophyte

Quote:
Hope this all helps!
Thanks Jason, this does help, it educates me one bit more. BUT, like the old saying "the more you learn the less you know". Later!!!