¹ Zune to Retire Every Player But Zune HD? - Thoughts Media Forums Zune Thoughts

Zune Thoughts.com

Thanks for visiting Zune Thoughts - be sure to register in our forums!

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Windows Phone Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > ZUNE THOUGHTS > Zune Hardware

Old 09-02-2009, 06:00 AM
Adam Krebs
Contributing Editor
Default Zune to Retire Every Player But Zune HD?

http://community.winsupersite.com/b...ng-forward.aspx

"Microsoft guru Paul Thurrott of SuperSite for Windows fame has read the writing on the wall. According to the reps he spoke with, production has ceased on all Zune models before the upcoming Zune HD. In other words, when supplies run out, Zune 4, 8, 16, 80, and 120 are as good as dead, with only this year's model left standing."

Alas, fair Zunes 4, 8, 16, 80, 120, we hardly knew thee. Jason mentioned a couple weeks ago that the flash models were on the outs, but I had no idea they'd be axing the larger capacity Zune 120 as well. This seems like an incredibly short-sighted move, as it leaves only the high-end luxury model as a compatible device with the Zune software. Apple has known for quite some time, and proven for even longer, that when users buy into a device / software ecosystem, it helps to have a variety of different players to choose from. I hope the Zune team delivers a pleasant surprise in the near future, but for now I'm not holding my breath.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:26 PM
SoundMix
Ponderer
Default My Zune thoughts

I will never purchase anything less than a 120gb Zune. If this information is correct...and when my Zune dies...I will be looking elsewhere for a replacement (anything but ipod).

This news combined with the lack of compatability with WMP/WMC is unacceptable.

At least MS got Windows 7 right.

The Zune team (??!?) leaves a lot to be desired. (I'm being kind).

Paul

Old 09-02-2009, 02:35 PM
doogald
Oracle

It seems obvious that the current Zune form factors are only selling to a small number of users. This seems smart to me - Microsoft sells only a single type of a device called a Zune for now and, if they establish a successful market for it, they can always extend it to other device types and form factors later. In other words, let the HD build brand equity first, and then extend the brand.

Old 09-02-2009, 02:53 PM
Ron Hostetter
Thoughts Media Review Team

While I'd hate to say this is sort of an admission of failure, I feel that perhaps that is the case here.

MSFT is probably hoping the HD takes off, and they can build a new brand loyalty based on that product.

Or, I could be completely wrong.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:00 PM
David Tucker
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to David Tucker Send a message via AIM to David Tucker Send a message via MSN to David Tucker Send a message via Yahoo to David Tucker

I'm really not sure how I feel about this yet.

Old 09-02-2009, 04:19 PM
stlbud
Intellectual
Default Small Capacities

How does someone manage such a small space? My audio files alone are about 30G. Add the numerous Podcasts I enjoy and a handfull of video and you have bits all over the floor instead of in your pocket. I like the variety I have with a big storage area.

Seriously, would someone give me some guidance and demonstrate how they manage a smaller space for their music files? Do you just pick a few and hope it gets you through the week? Is it a constantly changing selection? How do you manage that? Playlists?

It seems like a lot of work to me.

Thanks in advance,

Zune Tag - therealstlbud