¹ The Tech Report Compares Zune and iPod - Thoughts Media Forums Zune Thoughts

Zune Thoughts.com

Thanks for visiting Zune Thoughts - be sure to register in our forums!

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Windows Phone Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > ZUNE THOUGHTS > Zune Talk

Old 05-08-2007, 01:00 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default The Tech Report Compares Zune and iPod

http://techreport.com/reviews/2007q2/zune-vs-ipod/index.x?pg=5

"Launched back in 2001, Apple's iPod has arguably become the most iconic electronic device of the 21st century. With sales of over 100 million units, the iPod has dominated the market for portable audio—and now video—players...during the iPod's ascension, Microsoft worked with various hardware partners on all sorts of would be iPod killers, with little success. Then Redmond took matters into its own hands, creating the Zune media player to directly challenge Apple's iMonopoly. On paper, the Zune looks like a competent challenger, too; it has a much larger screen than the iPod, integrated wireless capabilities, and support for subscription-based music services. But is it any better than Apple's status quo? I've spent three months with an iPod and a Zune to find out, and the answer might surprise you."

This is one of the best, most fair-minded reviews of the Zune that I've seen in a long time. It pulls no punches, but also isn't as iPod-biased as nearly everything else I've seen out there. In fact, he's one of the few people that has the guts to actually criticize the iPod's much-vaunted scroll-wheel that, in truth, is much harder to use and control than the Zune's much-criticized control pad. If you're looking for a comparison between the iPod and the Zune, this is a great resource. One thing made me chuckle though: I'm constantly amazed at how completely polarizing the brown Zune is!. In this article, the author spends several paragraphs trashing the brown, but one of the few Zune owners I know bought the brown and quite likes it. Brown is a very popular colour nowadays, especially among young urbanites, and those cool indy-music-hipsters that Microsoft wanted to appeal to. I wouldn't buy a brown Zune myself, but I can completely understand why Microsoft released one.

Old 05-08-2007, 01:31 AM
David Tucker
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to David Tucker Send a message via AIM to David Tucker Send a message via MSN to David Tucker Send a message via Yahoo to David Tucker

I think that may actually be one of the best and most fair comparisons I've ever seen. Zune 2.0 is a long way off, though. I'm more interest in what the first real Zune upgrade (whenever it finally arrives) brings us.

Old 05-08-2007, 03:39 AM
Macguy59
Mystic

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tucker View Post
I think that may actually be one of the best and most fair comparisons I've ever seen. Zune 2.0 is a long way off, though. I'm more interest in what the first real Zune upgrade (whenever it finally arrives) brings us.
Translation: The reviewer said things I wanted to hear

Old 05-08-2007, 05:30 AM
David Tucker
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to David Tucker Send a message via AIM to David Tucker Send a message via MSN to David Tucker Send a message via Yahoo to David Tucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by byteme View Post
Translation: The reviewer said things I wanted to hear

Which clearly makes them right!

Old 05-08-2007, 06:35 AM
tbird
Ponderer

I also agree, it was a good read.
And IMO about time, cause I really get tired of reading reviews where the Zune is just dismissed right off the top.

Old 05-08-2007, 01:06 PM
Sage
Ponderer

I like the brown too!

I agree with what he said though. Personally, I'd love to see a Zune with a 80GB+ HDD, H.264 support and longer battery life. That would be my ideal mp3 player.