Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 07-20-2004, 02:00 PM
Mike Temporale
Editor Emeritus
Default Mobile Phones To Replace Your Wallet

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=technologyNews&storyID=5698349&src=rss/technologyNews§ion=news

"Look inside almost anyone's purse or pocket, and it probably contains at least a mobile phone and a wallet bulging with bills, coins, receipts, credit cards, IDs, train or bus passes and any number of membership cards. In Japan, that may soon be a thing of the past as the mobile industry aims to combine the two with a small embedded chip that can also store money and personal information. NTT DoCoMo Inc., Japan's largest mobile operator, on Saturday became the first operator to launch a wallet phone, equipped with Sony Corp.'s FeliCa smart chip, which can be quickly read by passing it over a scanner."

I'm not sure I like this idea. What happens if your battery runs out? Or you loose your phone? This is a neat idea, but I don't think it will really function very well in the real world.