Android Thoughts - Opinions, News, Advice & Reviews on Android Devices

Be sure to register in our forums! Share your opinions, help others, and enter our contests.

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > ANDROID THOUGHTS > Android Phones & Accessories > LG Android Phones

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-03-2011, 06:55 PM
Craig Horlacher
Contributing Editor

I was just trying to figure out why I'm more excited about the Samsung flip phone (in general, not for myself) than this dual screen creation from LG. I think it's just that nearly everyone has had a flip phone at one point or another. I know my wife has a flip phone and loves the form factor - she actually doesn't want a smartphone and that would be one of the reasons why. With so many people being used to flip phones I like the idea of having one out there that can run Android apps. I'm just not sure what I think about this.

The dual screen Kyocera Echo didn't seem to do very well and that had the advantage of two identical screens that could be used as one, though broken, large screen. The DoublePlay could be perfect for some custom apps and having a launcher at the bottom, below your running app, at all times could be very nice. I'm guessing there will not be many custom apps that use the second screen though.

The Echo and the DoublePlay fall into the same category, at least for me, as the Samsung Continuum. I think they all have cool features that some people will use and love but probably won't get enough attention to have lots of custom apps made for them.

For me the new flip phone coming out has the advantage over the other devices with extremely unique designs for being a form factor that many love already. I think it could help bring some into the smartphone era who have been hesitant.

Does anyone who has much experience with one of the phones I mentioned above care to comment?