View Full Version : Why doesn't Google allow their market on tablets?

Chris Gohlke
09-03-2010, 07:36 PM
I think this is going to be a hinderance to their adoption. I've searched around the web and haven't really seen a reason why Google doesn't allow this and can't really see a reason why they wouldn't want to.

ryaninc
09-05-2010, 09:36 PM
I think this is going to be a hinderance to their adoption. I've searched around the web and haven't really seen a reason why Google doesn't allow this and can't really see a reason why they wouldn't want to.

My understanding is that it's due to hardware requirements. In order to have the Google suite of apps (Market included), devices must meet some hardware requirements. Things like having GPS, having an accelerometer, etc. I'd guess the reason is so that users don't get a bad experience with tons of Market apps not working.

They only recently allowed devices without cell radios to include the Market (like the Archos devices), and I've read that they're working on a hardware requirement set for tablets, too. The new Galaxy Tab does have the Market, so maybe they're ready for tablets.

That's the way I understand it...but I've been wrong before. ;)