View Full Version : Coffee Bars Replacing Coffee Houses

Joe Johaneman
08-26-2010, 04:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/25/dining/25coffee.html' target='_blank'>http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/25/d...g/25coffee.html</a><br /><br /></div><p><em>"AT times, the large back room at Caf&eacute; Grumpy in Greenpoint, Brooklyn, has so many customers typing and wearing noise-canceling headphones that it looks like an office without the cubicles. A second Caf&eacute; Grumpy location, in Chelsea, prohibited laptops after too many customers ran extension cords across the room. The ban still rankles with some in the blogosphere."</em></p><p>I've been reading more and more articles lately about this movement of coffee places and cafes disallowing or restricting laptop usage. &nbsp;There are even some places that won't let you use an iPad or even a Kindle. &nbsp;While I can understand the frustration owners have over customers who turn their shop into an office, it seems unfair to me to punish everybody for the actions of a few. &nbsp;I don't drink coffee, so I generally don't go to these places anyhow, and I pretty much only frequent places that have free WiFi and let you stay as long as you like as long as you continue to buy stuff on a regular basis. &nbsp;It seems to me to be a fair trade. &nbsp;What do you think?</p>

crimsonsky
08-26-2010, 05:29 PM
Personally, I don't get the whole working out of a coffee joint place thing anyway. Why would I want to work out of a coffee shop when I can work in far greater comfort at home? Sometimes I think I'm the only person in the world that goes to a coffee shop to just get a cuppa! If you have to be that connected, use your phone, or get a cup to go and do your work in a more appropriate environment!

Jeff Campbell
08-26-2010, 08:49 PM
Yea, I'm the same way. Give me my java so I can go to some place less noisy and crowded!

Michael Knutson
08-27-2010, 08:17 AM
I personally think that most small businesses can't afford to turn away (or alienate) paying customers, even if it's only a cuppa. I've been working 'virtually' since 1998, and I do enjoy the occasional foray out of the house to a cafe ... for the social aspect, the coffee (I'm a coffee fiend) and the connectivity. Sure I could stay at home, but I need a (sanity) break sometimes.

I can see why owners would get angry at someone sitting for eight hours and spending a whopping $2, but to ban laptops and mobile devices is bordering on mean-spirited. Ban my use of my iPad 3G with a battery that lasts all day? Crazy. I have heard of cafes simply covering up outlets, so that when your battery is drained, you get up and leave. problem minimized. Or, another one simply powers down their wifi system during peak dining times, and posts a sign saying that they reserve the right to make tables available to their paying (eating & drinking) customers.

This is simply a variation on the old $5 minimum between 3-5pm that I remember as a teenager ... or, wait, it was more like a $1 minimum back then (mid-60s).

Jason Dunn
09-02-2010, 02:56 AM
I think it's unfortunate that because a few people abuse the hospitality of coffee shops that this is where things have gone...it's always the ignorant few that screw it up for everyone else. I don't drink coffee, so this doesn't impact me in any way, but I don't like the idea of coffee shop owners telling people what they can and can't do while they drink/eat whatever they purchased. :mad: