View Full Version : Voice Recognition Via TellMe On Windows Phone 7

Nurhisham Hussein
07-25-2010, 04:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/presskits/speech/VideoGallery.aspx#channel_contentListTop' target='_blank'>http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/..._contentListTop</a><br /><br /></div><p>If you're used to voice control on your phone (*cough* as in "what the competition has" *cough*), Microsoft has integrated its <a href="http://www.tellme.com/" target="_blank">TellMe</a> service into Windows Phone 7. I've no idea how well search will work outside North America, but contact search and application launching should work pretty well. Have a look at the video for a brief overview of what you can do (Sorry it doesn't embed well.).</p>

starstreak
07-25-2010, 07:42 AM
"If you're used to voice control on your phone (*cough* as in what the competition has *cough*), "

SERIOUSLY? Is this a Windows site? OMG, ever heard of Microsoft Voice Command? I could tell the time, date, signal strength, what I'm doing today,tell me whos calling on the phone from my contact list. HELL Apple can't even do that yet.

jimmyfal
07-25-2010, 02:47 PM
We have had this for YEARS. Isn't the new MS phone supposed to bring us stuff we've never been able to do before? Let me tell you what I cannot do, that I FULLY expect to do i WinPH7.

I want to be able to SPEAK a contacts name, and then say "NAVIGATE", and THEN have it launch the Bing turn by turn navigation.

THEN I want to be able to say "text john smith" and then I want to SPEAK my text message.

Those are TWO things that WinPH7 CANNOT EVEN DO. And this coming from a HUGE MS fan, is PATHETIC.

I just hope MS is listening, because it seems as though they only listen to the developers.
JF

Nurhisham Hussein
07-25-2010, 11:25 PM
SERIOUSLY? Is this a Windows site? OMG, ever heard of Microsoft Voice Command? I could tell the time, date, signal strength, what I'm doing today,tell me whos calling on the phone from my contact list. HELL Apple can't even do that yet.

Yes, I have heard of Microsoft VC, and I've used that as well as Cyberon's Voice Commander. The crucial difference between those oldies and what TellMe's going to bring is integration with internet search plus localisation services.

I'm also hoping for better voice recognition - I found voice recognition on both Microsoft and Cyberon packages to be hit and miss too much to be even minorly useful.

Fritzly
07-25-2010, 11:42 PM
Yes, I have heard of Microsoft VC, and I've used that as well as Cyberon's Voice Commander. The crucial difference between those oldies and what TellMe's going to bring is integration with internet search plus localisation services.

Would not it a good idea to fix what is not working before adding features?
Internet search etc. are nice features but I would rather prefer to be able to see "Commands" work properly first.

Craig Horlacher
07-26-2010, 04:22 PM
"If you're used to voice control on your phone (*cough* as in what the competition has *cough*), "

I never had very good luck with voice recognition on my WinMo devices. Actually, it did work well in Google Maps.

I figured the reference was to Android, not the iPhone. Android 2.1 has voice input available for everything - the on-screen keyboard has a mic button. You can use it at any text entry field. My Droid X also has it for launching programs and other things but I think that may have been added by Moto. Android's voice recognition is excellent. It probably also helps that my Droid X has hardware based noise cancellation.