View Full Version : What's Still Missing from the Zune HD Experience?

Jason Dunn
03-30-2010, 03:00 PM
<p>Now that you've had a chance to read about the <a href="http://www.geekiz.com/80-photographies-de-tokyo-en-hdr" target="_blank">4.5 update for the Zune HD</a>, what do you think is still missing from the Zune experience today? What sorts of things do you want the see added to the Zune HD from a software perspective? Myself, I think the app story continues to be weak - Microsoft doesn't move fast enough to get even a reasonable number of apps (say, 100) into the marketplace to offer people options. I know there are developers who would gladly build apps for the Zune HD if Microsoft would give them the opportunity and a platform to make money from.</p><p>The US-centric focus of the Zune HD also continues to pain me; it's a great piece of hardware, and a great overall service, but the Zune team seems content to remain in the US and not go international with the product. To a certain extent that's going to change when Windows phone 7 comes out; my understanding is that in order for a Windows phone 7 device to be sold by a carrier in a market, the Zune Marketplace has to be available in that market, and hopefully that means the Zune Pass as well. I hope I'm right about that, because if I am, that means the Zune experience - even if it's not with Zune HD hardware - will be a world-wide thing by the end of this year.</p><p>Lastly, I really wish it were possible to play music directly from the Zune HD when it was connected to a PC running the Zune software. I don't have a Zune Pass (<a href="http://www.zunethoughts.com/news/show/23576/an-international-zune-user-s-guide.html" target="_blank">though at least now I know how to get one</a>), so I can't do that fancy streaming music thing. When I travel I have my Zune HD with me, and I don't want to plug in my headphones in my hotel room - I was to connect the Zune to my laptop and listen to the music on it. It seems silly that I still can't do that.</p><p>How would you improve the software/services portion of the Zune HD?</p>

jaxim
03-30-2010, 03:42 PM
#1 ISSUE FOR ME:
Be able to watch my TV shows recorded from Windows Media Center on my Zune. Since the Digital TV transition, I am longer able to watch recorded TV on my Zune and that was a HUGE selling point of the Zune. The reason of this inability is because the Zune does not convert record TV shows that have the AC3 audio codec which is present on recorded TV shows that were recorded from clear QAM. I'm sure this is a licensing issue and not a technical problem as the Windows OS has no problem playing these video files.

#2: Allow Windows Phone 7 apps to be installed on ZuneHDs. Microsoft really missed the boat with this one. They could have allowed Zunes to play these apps and allowed them to do so NOW which would have allowed developers to release their apps before the phones come out. And by the time the WinPhone7 comes out, the Zune users would have been the guinea pigs to test out the apps and the app store.

The following are minor issues

be able to play a photo slideshow of photos from a number of subfolders and/or dates. You cannot do this on the Zune HD, but I think you can still do this on other Zunes. Actually the only way to do this on the ZuneHD is to pin a parent photo folder on the quicklist and then start the slideshow from the quicklist.
Be able to view photos by tags. This is a feature of Windows Photo Gallery. Why not incorporate this idea on the Zune platform?!
For Zune HD Only. - Inconsistent exit from media control menu. Play a song, press the screen to adjust the volume, to exit this menu, click on "exit". This is different when playing a video. Play a video, press the screen to adjust the volume, click anywhere that does not contain a button to return back to the menu. In addition, where the "exit" button was for the song media control menu is a big back button on the video media control menu. This is confusing. Clicking the back button does not return the user back to the menu, but instead it brings the user back to the previous menu. The way to fix this is to allow the music media control menu to allow you to click any place where a button is not to return you back to your media experience.

riley4077
03-30-2010, 03:47 PM
I listen to over 50 podcasts. Some daily and some weekly. Currently, I listen on my ATT Fuze, Newbreak aggregates, and Pocket Player does variable speed playback.

Since the Fuze can't handle video editions of the podcasts I have to stick with audio versions of the shows.

I would love to use the Zune instead of my phone, but, there isn't any variable speed playback (note Pocket player adjust the tempo without changing the pitch).

Of course, if variable speed playback is offered I will want to download podcasts over wifi. Which I don't believe the Zune can do currently, although I'm not sure.

So that would be my next feature: podcast downloading without the PC.

riley4077
03-30-2010, 03:52 PM
#1 ISSUE FOR ME:
Be able to watch my TV shows recorded from Windows Media Center on my Zune. [/LIST]

I agree with this one as well. The AC3 ommissioin is unbelievable. It's named the Zune HD for crying out loud. Since I'm still using a Zune8, I'm hoping the next Zune HD will fix this flaw.

But any 7MC integration would be nice.

jaxim
03-30-2010, 04:34 PM
Here's another idea. When using an app or the browser to enter in a password, please do not obscure the password. I think the screen is small enough where you do not have to worry about people peering over your shoulders to steal your passwords. It would be nice to be able to turn this feature on or off. So when I want the added level of security, then i can turn it on. However in most cases I find it annoying. I'm not used to the on screen keyboard and often times I mistakenly hit the wrong character or double click on the correct character. If the password is obscured and depending how I make the typo, I may not be able to see this mistake all the time.

The Yaz
03-30-2010, 04:38 PM
I agree that the lack of apps is the biggest problem for the Zune HD. For me specifically I wanted an e-book app so all of my digital content could be on one device.

The sad part is that I had that with my 2003 PocketPC
-802.11b with access to pop3 email and a serviceable Internet Explorer
-three 2GB CF cards (one for ripped movie files, one for my music, and one for my audio books and .lit e-books)
- two 1GB SD card (one had my games and productivity apps installed, the other had microsoft city streets maps).

With the external battery pack for my train ride to and from work to give me enough juice for the day, I was set.

Now I have three devices; Zune HD for music and video, my smartphone for email and internet access, and my PocketPC for my e-book collection (Yeah, it is starting to fall apart, but it still works).

I'm holding judgement if a WP7 device will be the answer. My contract is up in December and I'm tempted to give up and get an iPhone. If I can tether the Zune HD to my phone's data plan then that would rock and I would invest in the Zune Pass.

We'll see...

Steve

USArcher
03-30-2010, 05:31 PM
I'm less concerned with internationalization because I do feel that W7PS will be the main driver for this.

As for what is still missing.

1. Hardware that is compatible with the W7PS OS (minus phone) so that W7PS apps can be targetted for both device types. ZuneHD2? Btw, I'm very curious if W7PS will offer the same Zune docking experience.

2. "TV" in Zune's big screen UI. In essense, it connects to a local Media Center and provides access to Live TV stream, recorded content and guide. This may be the future for Media Center.

Probably not likely, but If Microsoft does make Courier it may be branded as a Zune. If so, I could see them expanding marketplace with digital books perhaps in partnership with Amazon.

mrozema
03-30-2010, 06:21 PM
I'd like a SMART DJ that doesn't want to mess with meta data or need a Zune Pass to operate, but would simply put together playlists from your personal music collection.

As usual, more codec support would be invaluable.

This was already mentioned, but a media center extender that works when connected to a tv or standing alone, would be fantastic.

egads
03-30-2010, 07:46 PM
Don't have a ZuneHD, but I'll chime in here anyways.

I want Zune support added to Media Center. Stinks, I have to exit Media Center to listen to me Zune Music.

I want to be able to delete a song/video/picture off my Zune via the Zune its self. i.e., currently you have to be plugged into a computer and use the Zune software to do this. Or at least I'd like to be able to select a song on the Zune and select "Do not sync" so the next time you sync the Zune software removes the song.

These are pretty BASIC things that should have been in since Ver 1.0.

Adam Krebs
03-31-2010, 03:54 AM
I'd love to see better integration with Media Center (both syncing and media management within the PC app, and better support for recorded shows), an e-mail app, and more ability to use it with my 360. By that, I mean plugging my device into the 360 should allow me to browse its contents, play music (quickly), and have rudimentary media management capablities. I really can't think of too much I want to see added to the HD, but I would really like to see it all ported very well to WinPhone7.

Trastan
03-31-2010, 08:07 AM
All I want is a notepad app (or, better yet, an e-mail app).

Seriously. That's all I need. Would that be too much to ask?

blegs38552
03-31-2010, 05:04 PM
1. FLAC support
2. mkv video support
3. Kindle app (even though I already own a Kindle)
4. Support of as many Win 7 phone apps as possible
5. Flash support in browser
6. Bookmarks for albums - ability to save an album and a certain point and resume from that point at a future time, even after doing something else (like listening to the radio).
7. Agree with another user - a notepad. Would like to be able to type the notes into the PC software and store them on my Zune (so I wouldn't have to bother with the virtual keyboard if I didn't want to).
8. Ability to transfer and synch MS Outlook contacts, calander...etc. (had this on my Creative X-FI)
9. Apps, Apps, Apps (of course)

Love my Zune HD - these would make me love it more.