View Full Version : Squeezing the Life Out of the Used Game Market

Hooch Tan
02-24-2010, 09:30 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.tomsguide.com/us/gamestop-used-ea-socom-dlc,news-5914.html' target='_blank'>http://www.tomsguide.com/us/gamesto...,news-5914.html</a><br /><br /></div><p><em>"While used game retailers such as GameStop walk to the bank with big profits thanks to the margin on used game sales, the only cut game publishers and developers get is from the sale of new games. To combat this, publishers such as Electronic Arts and Sony have come up with post-point-of-sale online purchasable items that gamers are incentivized to pay for."</em></p><p>Game publishers naturally want all the money they can get.&nbsp; They are businesses, and that is why they were formed.&nbsp; I think it is perfectly understandable that they are trying to get a piece of the used game market.&nbsp; However, creating one time use keys will likely only hurt the customer in the end, as resellers like Gamestop will only adjust their prices accordingly.&nbsp; Ultimately, this will probably give more weight to aspiring services like OnLive, and subscription based games like World of Warcraft, more interest by gaming companies.&nbsp; I imagine that companies could soon make online access an integrated component for all the games they sell, and charge you for it.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The infrastructure is already there.&nbsp; It just means that the days of stand alone games are numbered and will soon be kicked to a corner of the market.</p>

Jason Dunn
02-24-2010, 11:22 PM
I think it's OK to have certain perks - namely, in-game items - for retail purchasers, but if the game is somehow crippled for used buyers, that's going too far. Pardon my language, but what a bunch of greedy a$$holes game publishing companies can be - they make the sale once, and they're mad they're not making money off the same game again? What the hell? Are these gaming companies run by ex-music industry executives? :eek:

Chris Gohlke
02-25-2010, 02:13 AM
I'd say Gamestop et all, also need to be upfront on these sales. They need to have a sticker or something to notify the buyer that the used product does not include everything that may be described on the package.

Jason Dunn
02-25-2010, 04:36 AM
They need to have a sticker or something to notify the buyer that the used product does not include everything that may be described on the package.

That's a really good point Chris - they have the responsibility to warn people about what they're NOT getting...

whydidnt
02-25-2010, 04:23 PM
The other issue if for people that rent before they buy. They won't be able to experience the entire game, which could lead to fewer sales. As typical for most large media organizations these days they seem so focused on this quarter's bottom line that they don't realize they are only hurting themselves in the long run.

How many fewer games will be sold because some customers realize they won't be able to resell the game after completing it and recoup a portion of their expense? I have a couple of friends that pay for many of their new game purchases by selling their old games. If they can't sell the old, they won't have the $ to buy the new.

Hooch Tan
02-26-2010, 05:09 PM
Bad news! Seems like almost every publisher is jumping on the bandwagon, and the price is going up!

Bad Company 2 to get day-one map pack... if you buy new (http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010/02/bad-company-2-to-get-day-one-map-pack-if-you-buy-new.ars)

Instead of $10, they now want $15. What annoys me in addition to this is the various "deals" that they have if you buy through Amazon, or Gamestop, etc. Get special weapons if you buy through retailer A, or get special armour if you go with Retailer B. One product, one version!