View Full Version : Calendar and Contacts have disappeared from my Start Menu

rocky_raher
02-08-2010, 05:52 PM
I have a Samsung SCH-i760 running Windows Mobile 6.1. Last week I found that the "Calendar" and "Contacts" options had disappeared.
I have attempted to correct this. Using File Explorer, I went to \Windows, then highlighted calendar.exe and chose "Copy." I went to \Windows\Start Menu and chose "Paste shortcut." My Start Menu now has an item "Shortcut to calendar." I have tried to rename it, without success.
I have been unable to do the same for "Contacts." As a workaround, I can open the phone and use its menu to open my Contacts, but I don't like this.
How can I restore the "Calendar" and "Contacts" to the Start Menu?

Sven Johannsen
02-08-2010, 08:57 PM
There should be a control panel item (Settings), under the system tab I believe, called Menus. In it are all the programs that exist. Those that are checked are the ones that show up in the Start menu. Checking or unchecking something in that control panel actuall moves the associated shortcut between the Start Menu folder and the Programs folder under Windows.

Might want to verify the items actually are in the menu list in the control panel and not checked, and then manually delete the ones you stuck in manually before re-selecting them.

Be aware there is a limit to the number of items that can be checked and displayed in the Start Menu. If you instaled something new recently that the author felt you surely would want this in the Start Menu, it may have bumped something out.

rocky_raher
02-08-2010, 10:22 PM
Sven,
Thank you for your suggestion. Unfortunately, the list of items I can check does not include Calendar or Contacts. It does include the shortcut to calendar which I added, which works, but I'd be happier with the original.
When I was trying to fix this problem myself, I looked in the \Windows directory. I found calendar.exe, but no file with a name like "contacts." I was about to ask if the contacts executable might have been deleted, until I remembered that I can still open the phone GUI, and use Menu->Contacts to get the Contacts application.
I suspect that I will have to do a complete backup, then try to restore the system from my previous backup.

rocky_raher
02-09-2010, 05:40 PM
I have restored my system files from a backup, so I have Contacts and Calendar back in my Start Menu.
I examined the shortcuts. They are "poutlook.exe contacts" and "poutlook.exe calendar", respectively. I have tried to create these myself, so that I won't have to rely on a system restore should I lose them again. I can create "Shortcut to poutlook.exe", but I'm trying to find out how to create a shortcut with a parameter.