View Full Version : Microsoft Isn't Giving Up on Windows Mobile

Jason Dunn
12-08-2009, 10:30 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.betanews.com/joewilcox/article/Microsoft-dont-hang-up-on-Windows-Mobile-but-do-call-for-help/1259900059' target='_blank'>http://www.betanews.com/joewilcox/a...help/1259900059</a><br /><br /></div><p><em>"It hasn't been a good day for anyone working on Microsoft's Windows Phone team. This morning, IDC made the ridiculous prediction that the number of iPhone/iPod touch applications would triple to 300,000 by end of 2010. Later, here at Betanews, Carmi Levy slammed Microsoft's Windows mobile strategy. Yes, Windows Mobile is down -- really low -- but the operating system isn't bad. The mobile OS is good at the core, meaning the kernel, and multitasks pretty well. It's the user interface and partner model that needs a makeover -- and awfully fast."</em></p><p>Joe Wilcox over at BetaNews has written an article on the state of Windows Mobile, and he implores Microsoft not to give up on Windows Mobile as some are suggesting, but to instead "call for help" in changing things. There's not much I can comment on here except to say that it's not a coincidence that the latest version of Windows Mobile is 6.5, two and a half years after Windows Mobile 6 was announced. Microsoft may have been in the dot-release-doldrums for the past couple of years, but they have their eye on the future and are moving towards it in a big way. Though I know many will find that hard to believe, listening to the past few speeches from Steve Ballmer it's clear that he admits as a company Microsoft has stumbled with Windows Mobile.</p><p>There's synergy between the Zune, Xbox, and Windows Mobile teams - check out this job listing for a place called <a href="http://www.nwinnovation.com/showjob.php?id=3078" target="_blank">Pioneer Studios</a> and read the description. Then read between the lines of that job description and think about what that means. <a href="http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/exec/jallard/" target="_blank">J Allard</a> is driving this bus, and all those teams are aboard. It's hard to be a fan of Windows Mobile right now, no doubt about it, but I've seen a glimpse of the future and I <em>really</em> liked what I saw.</p>

doogald
12-08-2009, 11:40 PM
With tongue placed firmly in my cheek, when I saw the title

Microsoft Isn't Giving Up on Windows Mobile

my first thought was that it should continue:

... but everybody else is

frankenbike
12-08-2009, 11:53 PM
Microsoft lacks the ability to see anything through, or make it the best it can be, before retreating to the castle and shutting out the peasants. To work on their next release, which won't really address the complaints of the last one, because they feel it's beneath them to listen.

Take any of the little things that could use improvement on 6.5. Within weeks of the first devices hitting the market, there were a host of small complaints that could have been fixed superficially, and immediately. "Finger hostile" menu items, accelerometer hostile displays on primary elements, no easy way to get at software restart menu...

Then there's Windows Mobile Marketplace. Not only is Microsoft alienating developers left and right, but by pushing their "Live ID" model on the marketplace, and then completely failing to create a support mechanism during its opening months for feedback and problem resolution specific to the Marketplace, they have no way to know when there are show stopping failures. Unless they read their own forums, which they don't appear to. I can get Marketplace to show me the software, but I can't get it to accept any of my Live ID sign ins.

At every single crossroads, Microsoft has chosen "penny wise, pound foolish". From their point of view its "A penny saved is a penny earned". Meanwhile, I expect Android to be at the point where I won't even consider a "Windows Phone" when my current contract is up in 23 months.

In Android's brief time on this earth, it's arguably close to Windows Phone in every way when it doesn't surpass it. I chose Windows because of some legacy software I have that still makes it more functional in ways that haven't made it to Android yet. WHAT POSSIBLE EXCUSE CAN MICROSOFT HAVE!? They are one of the richest freakin' corporations on the planet!

Lee Yuan Sheng
12-09-2009, 12:11 AM
Workplace politics is usually what screws things up.

So I got me a Windows Phone. As usual, it never is right out of the box. And as usual, Activestink/WMDC proceeds to fart after the first connection. I now am syncing via Bluetooth instead. At least that works, for now! It is sad when a 3rd party app (Nokia PC Suite) can do a sync with Outlook better than Windows Mobile can.

It's all these little things, things that should work but don't that drive people mad. Much of it seems to be common sense, but it seems so uncommon. I shudder to think where MS would be now if not for HTC and Palm.

In fact, all HTC had to do was to say the HD2 is an Android device and that'd be it...

Twain
12-09-2009, 02:12 AM
There is just so much wrong with Microsoft's Windows Phone "strategy" starting with the issue of whether or not they even have a strategy! In addition to needing to hit the "next one out of the park", Microsoft seriously needs to hit the reset button on it's current approach with the service providers and get back in the driver's seat.

I'm sick of having to wait for Verizon to decide whether or not they will offer specific phones with specific Windows Mobile operating system upgrades to their customers. I want to be able to buy whatever phone I want and upgrade it whenever and as soon as an upgrade is available. Let's just have the service providers do just that -- provide the service and nothing else; that's really all I want from Verizon!

Microsoft: take charge of this business and start delivering compelling products. I am now seriously considering Android phones...

David Tucker
12-09-2009, 02:16 AM
At this point, Android on my G1 has worked so well for me that I can't imagine switching back to WinMo. I supported it strongly for many years and I feel like they let so many of us down when they failed to follow the market, let alone innovate in it!

My G1 is a gen 1 device and it blows away the previous two WinMo phones I had. There's absolutely nothing it doesn't do just as well and very few things it doesn't do significantly better. And with Google pushing out updates constantly and new devices coming out in droves, there's a bright future ahead for Android and I really think if Microsoft doesn't figure out really quick that WinMo isn't just a UI update away from being competitive again they're going to become irrelevant pretty quick in this market

Bob Anderson
12-09-2009, 04:10 AM
I've been using Windows Mobile/Phone/PPC devices since my old Philips Nino (the greyscale one) and I'll agree with Jason, it is hard to be a supporter of WinPhone/WinMo right now.

However, I see signs of hope:

First off, my 6.5 device, the Omnia II from Verizon, is quite impressive. Does it have a few "quirks"? YES. But it is an improved experience and builds on every strength the WinPhone/WinMo model has.

Secondly, MSFT is doing things that tell me they are SERIOUS about the platform. Rumors fly left and right, but suffice it to say STUFF is happening and what we don't know WILL impress us.

Third, even the manufacturers are careful not to dismiss MSFT: rumors that Motorola will participate with the new offering and HTC saying that they have to be "loyal" to the platform are signs that whatever is coming is worthwhile.

Before I make a major platform switch - I'm going to stick it out - a company with Microsoft's resources and public comments surely is not going to be embarrassed or be so far behind again!

Rob Alexander
12-09-2009, 06:01 AM
Yeah, I'm looking at it a lot like Bob is. My WM 6.5 Imagio is an excellent phone. It has a big beautiful screen, it's fast and responsive and I rarely have to pull out the stylus. The browsers are excellent, the connectivity is great, and it runs all of the WM apps that I already own. I am actually quite happy right now.

The thing is, there may be big things coming, but MS has to remember that their competitors are also making new versions. It's not enough for them to release a WM7 in late 2010 that competes with the iPhone and Android from late 2009. They need it to be better than the competition, on the day of release or they'll never catch up. I am basically sticking with WM until we see what they do with WM7. If they can release a product that really does compete with the iPhone and Android, then I'll stick with it. If it's still a generation behind, then I'll bail.

Fritzly
12-09-2009, 11:28 PM
Maybe MS is not....... but customers are.
Like others have already stated, I am waiting to see what WM7 will be.
If it will be just an evolution of what we have right now and not a groundbreaking new OS.....
So long WMxxxx..........

frankenbike
12-10-2009, 03:36 AM
Yeah, I'm looking at it a lot like Bob is. My WM 6.5 Imagio is an excellent phone. It has a big beautiful screen, it's fast and responsive and I rarely have to pull out the stylus. The browsers are excellent, the connectivity is great, and it runs all of the WM apps that I already own. I am actually quite happy right now.

The thing is, there may be big things coming, but MS has to remember that their competitors are also making new versions. It's not enough for them to release a WM7 in late 2010 that competes with the iPhone and Android from late 2009. They need it to be better than the competition, on the day of release or they'll never catch up. I am basically sticking with WM until we see what they do with WM7. If they can release a product that really does compete with the iPhone and Android, then I'll stick with it. If it's still a generation behind, then I'll bail.

Yeah, I've got the same feelings about my Imagio. I can live with the slow speed and other cranky weird things about it, and use my fingernail for the menus. It's just...they've had sooooo much time since the release of the iPhone to get their act together, and their Marketplace is just pathetic compared to a phone that's been out for such a short time like the Androids. There are so many apps out there, especially freeware...they should all have been on Marketplace from day one. And they should have the subversive ones like USBModem, WiFiRouter, etc. The things you DON'T find on any other platform (as far as I know). And all the keyboard alternates. And, and, and.

Windows Mobile is still like a tuner car, underpowered until you put a lot of time and effort into it.

We must all be masochists.

Lee Yuan Sheng
12-11-2009, 03:12 AM
Windows Mobile is still like a tuner car, underpowered until you put a lot of time and effort into it

That's the exact problem with it. The out of box experience just plain sucks.

We must all be masochists.

Actually it's the HD2's fault...

TKETZ196
12-11-2009, 11:36 PM
Its interesting since they did have the head start with, Palm at the helm with MS. They both could have been the current big players. Palm was able to revamp their entire platform so i would namely call them a big player. I am a supporter of Windows Mobile. Granted, i still use 5.0, and i'm in college still (i'm 23 yrs old), so i can't just go out and buy a new device just yet (along with my wages from my part time job). I can see the potential power that MS has, and i think they need to put more faith in the features like the forgotten Windows SideShow. I think its a really great concept, but they should be able to not just be limiting it to use with bluetooth, but maybe networking it as well. Going with that, they should integrate the feature into WM instead of depending the manufacturer to build a separate device attachment. This is just one of the many things they can improve. I think they need to tighten the eco-system and add features to the "Live" brand (marketplace, xbox, Zune, Media Center, and the business enhacements are always welcomed). The eco-system is still seems fragmented and the apps like the "marketplace for mobile" seems forced, rushed, and for goodness sake: Change the names already! Instead of Marketplace for Mobile, why not Windows Mobile Marketplace, or Skymarket like the original name scheme.

ucfgrad93
12-12-2009, 01:58 AM
Phil Moore, head of Microsoft’s mobility division in the UK, admitted that Windows Mobile 7 is being delayed until late 2010.

If BoyGeniusReport.com is correct, this is VERY bad news for Window Mobile. I just don't see how they survive with what they have now against a year of Apple and Android updates.

Windows Mobile 7 delayed until the end of 2010? Boy Genius Report (http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/12/11/windows-mobile-7-delayed-until-the-end-of-2010/)

karen
12-12-2009, 03:02 AM
Microsoft could easily turn the bus around to the right direction by doing two things:

Develop, beg, borrow, or steal a real browser for Windows Mobile.
Get HTC to develop a high resolution, large screen phone.

If they did that, then 3rd part app developers could develop applications that make things work in a way that fix all of MS's ideas about stylus and desktop menu driven usage.

Seems to me the ought be able to pull that off in less than 6 months. Release it and stand back while people who actually use the product in the real world can develop apps that work.

doogald
12-12-2009, 04:21 AM
From today's NY Times (http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/12/10/microsoft-is-losing-fight-for-consumers-analyst-says/?src=sch&pagewanted=all), Mark Anderson of Strategic World Service says that Microsoft has already lost the consumer market (except for xbox) and may as well give up now.

I [Steve Lohr] caught up with Mr. Anderson earlier for a preview of his after-dinner performance. One of his predictions, in particular, caught my attention. “Except for gaming, it is ‘game over’ for Microsoft in the consumer market,” he said. “It’s time to declare Microsoft a loser in phones. Just get out of Dodge.”

Regardless of Microsoft’s performance, amid the rise of Apple’s iPhone and phones using Google’s Android software, it seems unlikely Microsoft will heed Mr. Anderson’s advice. The smartphone is becoming the innovative hub of software development and applications, far more so than the personal computer. If Microsoft loses in smartphones, Mr. Anderson noted, “It is pretty grim. Those applications are going to move upstream.”

The underlying problem, Mr. Anderson said, is cultural. “Phones are consumer items, and Microsoft doesn’t have consumer DNA,” he said.

“Walk the halls at Microsoft and you can see it is not a place that gets consumers,” Mr. Anderson said. “Just as if you walk the halls at Google, it’s obvious it is not a place that gets the enterprise world.”

karen
12-12-2009, 03:27 PM
Excellent observation. I'd add that MS doesn't get the difference between porting desktop- like functionality to a phone versus porting the desktop interface. With WM, they potted the UX and too few features. They should have done the opposite.

Lee Yuan Sheng
12-13-2009, 04:17 AM
Develop, beg, borrow, or steal a real browser for Windows Mobile.
Get HTC to develop a high resolution, large screen phone.

1) I think just about every major WinMo handset maker has been incorporating Opera Mobile into the base ROM.

2) What, the HTC HD2 doesn't count? (It does have one humdinger of a flaw though)

karen
12-13-2009, 08:30 PM
1) I think just about every major WinMo handset maker has been incorporating Opera Mobile into the base ROM.

2) What, the HTC HD2 doesn't count? (It does have one humdinger of a flaw though)

Opera doesn't seem to be part of the Canadian carrier's offerings. I did try Opera a few times and found it to be flaky and take up a lot of memory. Could just be the phones I had.

Besides, we're talking about what MS should be doing to regain some credibility, not what some HW manufacturers are doing to get around all of MS's silly design flaws.

It's hard for me to tell how screens are doing in Canada, because when the carriers do offer more than one or two WM phones, they don't let you see a real one. You have to buy from the fake one on the floor (if there is one), or buy based on seeing someone who has a real one. Most of the higher end WM phones must be special ordered: they don't carry them in the retail stores. Canadian carriers really try to push purchasers towards RIM phones or stupid teenager phones.

Lee Yuan Sheng
12-14-2009, 04:25 AM
Opera doesn't seem to be part of the Canadian carrier's offerings. I did try Opera a few times and found it to be flaky and take up a lot of memory. Could just be the phones I had.

Besides, we're talking about what MS should be doing to regain some credibility, not what some HW manufacturers are doing to get around all of MS's silly design flaws.

It's hard for me to tell how screens are doing in Canada, because when the carriers do offer more than one or two WM phones, they don't let you see a real one. You have to buy from the fake one on the floor (if there is one), or buy based on seeing someone who has a real one. Most of the higher end WM phones must be special ordered: they don't carry them in the retail stores. Canadian carriers really try to push purchasers towards RIM phones or stupid teenager phones.

Opera 10 on the HD2 is very good. It's screaming fast, and the screen is a beauty. Of course the combination relies on UMTS 2100 to deliver that experience.

MS is not going to do enough with their browser. I mean, even IE8 is still somewhat lacklustre compared to the other browsers. The mobile team with even less resources just isn't going to be able to compete. The best one can hope for now is for phone manufacturers to incorporate a decent browser. In many ways MS would be dead without HTC.

The HD2's screen is very good. I'm really happy with it. It might be be as eye-popping in terms of viewing angles and colours as the Omnia II's AMOLED screen but its size makes up for it. And the CPU. I cannot stop gushing about how good the 1GHz Snapdragon CPU is.