View Full Version : TomTom Car Kit for iPhone

Sven Johannsen
10-28-2009, 05:30 PM
OK, the thing is available. TomTom Car Kit for iPhone - Apple Store (U.S.) (http://store.apple.com/us/product/TX672LL/A) Anyone got one? A review unit? Regardless of what you think of it, there is a question I have that figures significantly in my decision. Can you spin that suction cup thingy around so that it could stick to the dash, instead of to the windshield?

There are a lot of vehicles that the winshield is too far a reach to make mounting there practical, and there are states that don't let you 'windshield' mount. You may think that the 'pebbling' on your dash would prevent sticking, which is true, but you can get a smooth disk to stick to the dash which can provide a surface to mount this sort of device. I don't like the sandbag things.

My particular reason for the dash mount, is a small sports car that doesn't have a lot of windshield in the first place. Sticking this on it would obstruct more view than I like. I have a Proclip, and an Arkon mount for the iPhone (and other units) that work fine using the disk.

I'm interested in the TomTom unit for it's speakerphone capability, along with the upgraded GPS receiver, but I have never seen this shown with the suction portion in anything but the stick it to the window look.

The Web site has it. Anyone know if the brick and mortar stores do/will?

Update: Never mind. Just looked back at the Apple Store and there is a pic of it with the suction down. Would have just deleted this post, but apparently can't.