View Full Version : Comcast Interested in Hulu

Chris Gohlke
10-06-2009, 12:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-ct-hulu5-2009oct05,0,980649.story' target='_blank'>http://www.latimes.com/business/la-...,0,980649.story</a><br /><br /></div><p><em>"The nation's leading cable company has made no secret of its disdain for Hulu's approach of giving away the shows that Comcast and other pay-TV distributors spend billions for -- and rely on to retain subscribers. Comcast is in talks with NBC Universal about pooling their entertainment assets into a new company that would own 30% of Hulu in addition to the NBC network and cable channels such as Bravo, E! and Syfy. Comcast would control the new entity and possibly have the clout to push Hulu to begin charging for access to some of its most popular shows, including "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia," "The Daily Show With Jon Stewart" or "Psych."" </em></p><p>Like my previous post suggested, I've always assumed Hulu would become a pay service at some point. The question for me was whether they took the true a la carte approach that so many consumers have wanted or just became another version of Comcast. If they do become a pay service, they really need to make sure that it is easier to get the content on your TV (like service for the Wii, PS3, and Roku box) as well as making nice with Apple to get on the iPhone/iPod Touch.</p>

WyattEarp
10-06-2009, 11:21 PM
If Comcast is involved I want no part of it. Comcast is not in my area (thank God) but there is nothing good about them. Therie opened dislike for Hulu means they'd gladly see it shutdown and will work hard to do just that. NBC needs to just say "No!".

Jason Dunn
10-06-2009, 11:53 PM
NBC is re-inventing TV with Hulu - they'd be stupid to get into bed with Comcast, who wants nothing more than to maintain the status quo. :mad:

doogald
10-07-2009, 01:55 AM
NBC is re-inventing TV with Hulu - they'd be stupid to get into bed with Comcast, who wants nothing more than to maintain the status quo. :mad:

I think, instead, that Comcast realizes that being the pipe that delivers ad-supported content to computers without getting any revenue from subscribers is not a cool place to be, and actually getting some of that ad revenue, plus owning the content rather than just broadcasting it is a far more desirable position to be in than just watching their TV revenue be cannibalized by Hulu, etc. Better to cannibalize yourself than let somebody else cannibalize you.