View Full Version : 4.0 bricks 1st and 2nd generation Zunes

SoundMix
09-30-2009, 01:04 AM
According to the MS Zune forums, and Engadget, many 1st and 2nd generation Zunes are being bricked by the Version 4.0 software, resulting in many taking drastic measures to try and ressurect their Zunes. Little success reported.

This is what I've come to expect from the Zune team, nothing more, nothing less. Same old crap.

Paul

Sven Johannsen
09-30-2009, 02:36 AM
Upgraded 3, no problem. A 30G, and 8 and an 80.

David Tucker
09-30-2009, 06:11 PM
I've had no problem....and why would you expect this? If nothing the else, the Zune has always worked well.

SoundMix
09-30-2009, 06:12 PM
I upgraded two, an 80GB and a 4GB. I had firmware and file problems with the 80GB. I was able to fix these myself with an hour of fiddling. Not good!

Paul

SoundMix
09-30-2009, 06:24 PM
I've had no problem....and why would you expect this? If nothing the else, the Zune has always worked well.

When you say it has always worked, you must be speaking of your own experiences. Good for you!

Go to the MS Zune forums. MS admits there is a problem with 4.0 and promises a patch. There are people reporting problems on this forum as well. I guess you did not see the Engadget post either.

I helped them debug problems with an earlier version over a two week period. This was also a driver problem.

IMHO version 3.1 is the most stable of all so far.

Paul

David Tucker
09-30-2009, 06:45 PM
When I say always worked, I refer to the fact that in 3 years of owning a Zune, it has always worked. Its not good if they have an issue now but the only other firmware related issue I know of was the whole time change thing.

Their track record is pretty good.

Sven Johannsen
10-01-2009, 02:05 AM
When you say it has always worked, you must be speaking of your own experiences. Good for you!

Go to the MS Zune forums. MS admits there is a problem with 4.0 and promises a patch. There are people reporting problems on this forum as well. I guess you did not see the Engadget post either.

I helped them debug problems with an earlier version over a two week period. This was also a driver problem.

IMHO version 3.1 is the most stable of all so far.

Paul

Well that is a bit different than your original post, which paraphrased is Zune is crap and always was. I would wonder if 3.0 had some issues that 3.1 fixed, making it the most stable ever. I would expect a 4.1.

BTW Apple's 3.0 has had some issues as has 3.01 and 3.1, so updates can have some issues that appear once the broader release hits the world. Unlikely that the 99% with no problems are going to speak up, so all you hear are the issues.

Ron Hostetter
10-01-2009, 05:01 PM
FWIW... My son's Brown 30 hasn't been working since the upgrade. After a few seconds of use (usually no more than 30), it freezes then reboots itself.

I'm not, however, convinced it's a firmware problem. This Zune is old and has been tossed around a lot. I suspect it is just as likely a hard drive problem.

He's using my old 80 now (since I got the HD), and I'll be playing around with the 30 to see if I can get it going.

SoundMix
10-02-2009, 01:05 AM
Well that is a bit different than your original post, which paraphrased is Zune is crap and always was. I would wonder if 3.0 had some issues that 3.1 fixed, making it the most stable ever. I would expect a 4.1.

Perhaps I should have worded this differently. The Zune hardware is not crap. The Zune team is unable/unwilling to create software that is compatible with WMC/WMP. And their beta program (Version 4.0) leaves much to be desired...crappy. Buggy softweare is one thing, turning Zunes into bricks is far more serious. The recent Engadget poll suggest 1 out of 5, or 20% of Zune users are having software/firmware problems. Not a scientific poll, but way more than the 1% you suggest.

And who cares about Apples, Ipods, or ITunes. Not me.

SoundMix
10-02-2009, 01:31 AM
FWIW... My son's Brown 30 hasn't been working since the upgrade. After a few seconds of use (usually no more than 30), it freezes then reboots itself..

Yes it could be the HD. But, if it worked before the update it could very well be the update. Check the MS Zune forums. I recall others reporting the same problem you are having.

SoundMix
10-02-2009, 01:44 AM
I guess it must sound like I'm not a MS fan or Zune fan. Actually I'm a big MS fan, and I like my Zune. I am dissappointed that the Zune has so many shortcomings and software installation issues. The blame for this I feel is the Zune team.

If we don't voice our displeasure and concern, the Zune team has little reason other than Ipod to improve. I for one do not like the direction the Zune team is taking the Zune. No large capacity, no models with buttons, proprietary software ( ala IPOD), no WMC DRM support, no EQ on Zune, no OGG support, no drag and drop, no file storage support, drm music files. I don't need Social, DJ, Quickplay, or Marketplace except for Podcasts, they should be removable options from the menus. I'm sure others can chime in on their likes/dislikes. Let's let the Zune team know how we feel.

David Tucker
10-02-2009, 04:53 PM
No large capacity, no models with buttons, proprietary software ( ala IPOD), no WMC DRM support, no EQ on Zune, no OGG support, no drag and drop, no file storage support, drm music files. I don't need Social, DJ, Quickplay, or Marketplace except for Podcasts, they should be removable options from the menus. I'm sure others can chime in on their likes/dislikes. Let's let the Zune team know how we feel.

I agree with you on certain things. I believe that the Zune team, in an effort to directly compete with Apple, has overreached with the Zune's focus should be. I would be happy if I could remove menu options from the onboard menu that are worthless for a media player. Applications and games, I'm looking at you.

As for the rest, well, you knew when you got a Zune that it was tied to the software. Which is far better than WMP. Its completely unreasonable to complain about it and its likely never changing.

I do agree that OGG support should be there. I really don't see the big deal about drag and drop and file storage. Its not a portable HDD. Its a DMP.

SoundMix
10-02-2009, 07:23 PM
As for the rest, well, you knew when you got a Zune that it was tied to the software. Which is far better than WMP. Its completely unreasonable to complain about it and its likely never changing.

This is a false assumption on your part. In fact the opposite is true. If you check the Zune forums you will see that many users expected their Zune to work with MS's other softare WMC/WMP. And they expected their drm video files that play fine in WMP to play on the Zune. Google "Zune incompatible"

It is never unreasonable to complain when something is crappy. FYI, the Zune team has been told by MS to start working more closely with WMP/WMC. The two teams are now housed closer together to facilitate this. So a change in the Zune software is VERY likely. As for the Zune hardware, if I had to guess, I'd say your Zune will eventually become a smartphone.

Paul

Phillip Dyson
10-02-2009, 07:26 PM
I wouldn't say my Zune was bricked. But I did notice that after the update it was unable to progress to the next track when listening to music. I had to hit the dpad each time.
Then the dpad became useless. So no reset. I finally had to let it sit for a few days so it would shut all the way down. I'm a day into it again. And so far so good.

David Tucker
10-02-2009, 08:56 PM
This is a false assumption on your part. In fact the opposite is true. If you check the Zune forums you will see that many users expected their Zune to work with MS's other softare WMC/WMP. And they expected their drm video files that play fine in WMP to play on the Zune. Google "Zune incompatible"

It is never unreasonable to complain when something is crappy. FYI, the Zune team has been told by MS to start working more closely with WMP/WMC. The two teams are now housed closer together to facilitate this. So a change in the Zune software is VERY likely. As for the Zune hardware, if I had to guess, I'd say your Zune will eventually become a smartphone.

Paul

If you buy something without learning about the product before hand then its not surprising if your expectations are unmet. It was never a secret that the Zune would require the use of the Zune desktop application (an application that was released a month prior to the Zune 30 to get people to start using it)

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Sven Johannsen
10-05-2009, 11:05 PM
The recent Engadget poll suggest 1 out of 5, or 20% of Zune users are having software/firmware problems. Not a scientific poll, but way more than the 1% you suggest.
Yea but asking who has issues on a tech enthusiast site, on a general consumer device, is really going to skew results. Whatever. I expect that number is overblown.

Can't say I disagree on a lot of your complaints though. Lots of stuff on the new Zune I have no use for, and would like to remove. Whether I knew or not about the Zune reliance on it's own software, it certainly was something I decried at the outset. Saw no reaso tha the Zune couldn't be an extension of Media Player and/or Media Center where I had already spent a good deal of time setting up ratings and playlists. My Portable Media Center devie interfaces seemed fine, mirroring my Media Center PC. With Media Center UI on most Vista and Win 7 PCs why couldn't an equivalent display be on my MS portable player...and what should the SYNC option on Media Center sync with if not a MS portable media player?

SoundMix
10-08-2009, 05:22 PM
If you buy something without learning about the product before hand then its not surprising if your expectations are unmet. It was never a secret that the Zune would require the use of the Zune desktop application (an application that was released a month prior to the Zune 30 to get people to start using it)
We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Nowhere in the 2nd Zune generation advertising info that comes with the Zune was it implied that you must use the Zune software in order to use the Zune. This information is not on the box the Zune comes in. Can YOU understand how dumb that is???? Many Zune users have complained about this in the Zune forums. I am not agreeing to disagree. You are flatly wrong.

I actually downloaded the early Zune 30 software. what a disaster. Had to uninstall Netframework, reinstall, uninstall, reinstall....still would not work, and then, and after I got My Zune, I helped the Zune Team find the problem to fix it.

Sven...Thanks for agreeing about the Zune WMP/WMC sync issues. Even MS agrees this is a problem for them and is trying to bring the two teams together.

And Tucker, if you are reading this, try doing a little research before you try to insult me again. I've probably forgotten more about innards of the Zune software than you presently know. Krebs and Dunn do a great job here. They are sole reason I keep coming back.

David Tucker
10-08-2009, 07:25 PM
I'm sorry if you feel if I was trying to insult you. Certainly not my intention.

My opinions can't please everyone though! I am curious though...if you're not agreeing to disagree...doesn't that mean you agree with me? I got the impression you still disagree with me but I'm not sure. ;)

jdmichal
10-08-2009, 07:29 PM
I think everyone needs to calm down a little bit. Regardless of opinion, I think we can agree on the following:

It is not clearly indicated that the Zune hardware requires the Zune software.
Some, or even most, might assume this fact. But not everyone will.
Most probably don't care, because most will buy the Zune to use it, and do what is necessary to use it. Same way they install malware because some website told them it was necessary. (Quicktime is a good example.)
Being able to add music via other methods would be nice. (Drag and drop, WMP.)

There, I think that about covers everything, yes? To be honest, I actually installed the Zune software before I even had a Zune, because I thought it was that much better than any other music software I've used. I think the recent iTunes UI upgrades acknowledges this point.

Sven Johannsen
10-12-2009, 07:42 PM
Sven...Thanks for agreeing about the Zune WMP/WMC sync issues. Even MS agrees this is a problem for them and is trying to bring the two teams together.
No need to thank me. Didn't do it to be nice. Fact is I got 4 freakin media environments on my PC, WMP, Media Center, Zune and iTunes*. Three of these are from the same company and don't play all that nice with each other. That's rediculous. Thank goodness hard drive space is cheap.

* for the iPhone. Naturally I want the entire Apple media experience if I have their phone. Was thrilled when it felt the need to convert and store all my media over again in their format.

chivingtonn
02-03-2010, 12:17 AM
I too am having problems with the 4.0 update and my 2nd gen 30 g Zune. Any fix that you are aware of ? If not, how can I get 3.1 back ?

thanks