View Full Version : eReader / Fictionwise - now useless to non-American users?

alanjrobertson
09-21-2009, 10:48 PM
I've been having a debate with Fictionwise customer support over the past few months. They have implemented geographical restrictions on their books but offered no easy way to search for only those available within one's territory. They also continue to only offer newsletters that are untargeted and every book I've tried to buy so far is restricted. Normally this would just be frustrating, but to make things worse I've been left with a whole lot of eReader credit that is now effectively useless!

Their support have repeatedly ignored my emails and when they do reply tend to do so with boilerplate replies. In their latest reply they have refused any suggestion of a way to search for relevant books or to reimburse the credit (see below).

I guess I'm mainly just venting and warning others of the poor customer service on offer from this company, but I'd be happy to hear anyone's thoughts!

Cheers

Alan

Hi,

Prior to purchasing, please check the description page of the book first. If the book has a geographic restriction placed on it, there will be a posting that alerts you that this book is "Geographically Restricted". That way, you can see before adding it to your shopping cart.

Currently there are no plans to create a separate version of the newsletter for non-U.S. customers.

There are indeed ebooks on our site that are not geographically restricted. Unfortunately, there is no way for us to refund your non-refundable eReader.com Rewards balance.

Best Regards,

XX
eReader.com Support Team

============================================================
You wrote:
Dear Sirs

I find it incredibly discourteous that you have STILL refused to provide a detailed and INDIVIDUAL reply to my query.

I recently received your latest newsletter highlighting that the latest Dan Brown code is available to purchase. I tried to add it to my cart only to be told that this title ALSO has 'geographical restrictions'.

This is incredibly frustrating.

Once again I would ask you to read this email thread in full and clearly answer the following points:

1. What mechanisms have you put in place to allow non-American users to see which titles they can and can't buy without having to add items to the cart and then have them rejected?

2. What is happening with regards tailoring the newsletter so that the books advertised to us are ONLY those that we are able to buy?

3. Given that so far I have been able to find NO books that I am able to buy using my existing eReader credit I once again ask for you to make an ex-gratia refund of the outstanding credit. I FULLY understand that this the credit is meant to be non-refundable and only for use to buy eBooks, however given you have removed the vast majority of books for purchase for UK users this is a substantial detrimental change and therefore I feel a different approach is required by yourselves.

I look forward to a reply by return.

Yours faithfully

Hi,

As we state on our Rewards FAQ page, eReader Rewards cannot be converted to cash:
"eReader Rewards Dollars are not refundable in cash and are a credit against future purchases at eReader.com":
eReader.com: eReader Rewards FAQ (http://www.ereader.com/help/rewardsFAQ.htm)

We have recently had to implement geographic restrictions for certain eBooks; it applies to only a fraction of the eBooks we sell. These new restrictions are being imposed on all eBook retailers by certain publishers because of contracts they have in place, and we must abide by these new geographic restrictions for legal reasons.

Best Regards,

XX
eReader.com Support Team

You wrote:
I'm *still* awaiting a reply from my email of a month ago.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 26 August 2009 23:14
To: 'Fictionwise.com'

Dear Sirs

I am still awaiting a reply to my email of a fortnight ago - copy below.

Sent: 12 August 2009 21:03
Importance: High

Thanks for the quick reply.

The key point I was making was that the books available for me to purchase with my eReader Rewards has been drastically cut as a result of the new geographical changes - this is making them of extremely limited utility and hence why I was hoping you would be able to be flexible in the application of the credit rules.

You also don't answer my question about adjusting your newsletter so I only receive adverts for books I can actually purchase. In addition I would point out that (as far as I can ascertain) the website also offers no way of searching for only books available to purchase by UK users.

As a loyal customer of many years I really am disappointed by the massive changes in the site - I used to think of it as being one of the best eBook sites due to the very sensible DRM policy and reasonable pricing but it now seems to be a North America-only setup.

I look forward to hearing from you regarding the above.

Sent: 12 August 2009 20:49

Hi,

As we state on our Rewards FAQ page, eReader Rewards cannot be converted to
cash:
"eReader Rewards Dollars are not refundable in cash and are a credit against future purchases at eReader.com":
<a href="http://www.ereader.com/help/rewardsFAQ.htm" target=_new>http://www.ereader.com/help/rewardsFAQ.htm</a>

We have recently had to implement geographic restrictions for certain eBooks; it applies to only a fraction of the eBooks we sell. These new restrictions are being imposed on all eBook retailers by certain publishers because of contracts they have in place, and we must abide by these new geographic restrictions for legal reasons.

Best Regards,

XX
eReader.com Support Team

You wrote:
Dear Sirs

I'm still awaiting a reply to my follow-up email on this subject.

I've now tried to add numerous books to my cart - including some Dan Brown titles after today's email newsletter and they have all be geographically restricted.

Is there some way I can be reimbursed for all this eReader credit that I am now unable to use? Can you change your newsletters so it only highlights books that I are actually available to purchase in that reader's country?

I feel I have been very poorly treated - after building up $XX in eReader rewards I am now not able to spend it.

I look forward to hearing from you by return.

Sent: 24 June 2009 12:24

Any update on when these may be worked out - so far your product catalogue has been decimated by this change and I really can't find much to use my eReader credit on.

Sent: 20 April 2009 15:43

Hi,

There are new geographic restrictions for some ebooks, and we must now abide by them for legal reasons. Past purchases are not effected.

Fictionwise is working with our suppliers and publishers to set up a system whereby we run multiple storefronts in different countries. Once we have this system in place, we should be able to sell eBooks that have these kinds of restrictions to many more areas. We would deliver the correct country version of each such eBook in a way that makes sure the correct geographic rights holder gets paid for the eBook. That's ultimately what people care about. We are trying to make this as transparent to our customers as possible. But it is a complex problem because it deals with issues like tarifs, VAT taxes, currency conversions, and other issues involving multiple parties.

Please visit us here for more information:
https://www.fictionwise.com/help/GeographicRestrictionsFAQ.htm

Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance.

Best Regards,

XXX
eReader.com Support Team

You wrote:
I just tried to purchase a couple of eBooks are was told the
following:

"Warning: The eBook you just added to your cart has geographic rights restrictions. The billing country on your credit card indicates that you do not have the right to purchase this eBook due to rights restrictions by the Publisher of the eBook. Please either remove it from your cart or purchase with a credit card whose billing address is in the USA or Canada."

(the books were Star Trek: Captain's Blood and Star Trek:
The Captain's Peril)

I tried to click on the FAQ link but this produced a 'page not found error'.

This is a very disappointing development in eReader and given the credit I have built up in good faith in eReader rewards with previous purchases I feel really quite disappointed and annoyed that I am now blocked from spending this credit on books that I want to purchase.

I look forward to your reply.