View Full Version : Zune HD vs Windows Mobile

stlbud
09-16-2009, 02:42 PM
I've said it in other threads that I'm disappointed in the capacity of the new Zune HD. 32Gbytes is not enough for the tunes and podcasts i want to carry with me. Add in a few videos and applications and it's gonna leak (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091059/).

So how does Zune HD compare to a Windows Mobile device (sans phone or with, I don't care).

* Applications - Both - Windows Mobile has some very mature and capable apps
* Web Browser - Both - Granted, the Windows Mobile browser options as they are now are way behind current technology
* Play tunes, videos, podcasts - Both - Windows Mobile does RSS feeds too. Back to some of those apps. Core Player will play many more files than Zune.
* Mail, Calendar, Contacts - Windows Mobile - Zune may be able to do so with an app or web interface
* Weather, Clock, Calculator - Both - Windows Mobile might require an app.
* Youtube - Windows Mobile with Core Player
* Voice Recorder - Windows Mobile
* Notes - Windows Mobile
* Microsoft Office Documents - Windows Mobile
* Marketplace - Zune - for now, but WM 6.5 promises to have a Marketplace (maybe?)
* Convenience - Mixed bag but if you just want to count media, Zune wins here.
* Price - Zune - Windows Mobile would cost more and then have to add a 32G flash card on top.

Promises of Windows Mobile 6.5 are supposed to offer the Marketplace and an improved browser. As we've seen, speculation doesn't always pay off so it remains to be seen if we get anything that is as useful as the Zune browser.

For me, I'm looking for the next Windows Mobile. I'll keep my Zune 120 and augment with a full featured PDA.