View Full Version : Using touch pro 2 as modem

Kibo Kid
09-11-2009, 11:06 AM
I need help!

(1) I am 62, work in mainly developing countries, so use local PAYG sim cards when on assignment as I am now in Tanzania.

(2) I bought my TP2 in the UK last month, BIG improvement on HTC P3600, but lots for me to learn.

(3) When I arrived in Tanzania just over two weeks ago, I got a sim card for Zain, one of the big service providers.

(4) I bought an Internet/data access package for Tsh 66,000 or about $50 with a 500MB allowance. These packages are usually sold with a HUAWEI modem which has the "data" sim card inside. There is an application which installs on the user's computer so he/she can monitor usage. My colleague here has one of these modems.

(5) I saved money by not buying the modem and am using the TP2 as the data modem. I've been impressed with the way the TP still allows me to take and make calls while connected to the Internet ie my one PAYG sim card functions as mobile/cell phone and as a data/modem card.

(6) PROBLEM: I cannot find out how to monitor my usage, ie how much of my 500 MB allowance have I used so far. I tried installing the HUAWEI modem and using that software to monitor my usage. It does not recognise my TP2 because it is looking for the HUAWEI. I then inserted my sim card into the HUAWEI, but it still reports usage as for the original card used by my colleague.

(6) I've tried Comms Manager etc, but cannot find out where to monitor usage. Unfortunately, Zain cannot tell me either! I don't think they're used to customers using devices like the TP2 as a modem.

My email address is [email protected]

Thanks,

Kibo Kid