View Full Version : What Zune HD apps would you like to see in Marketplace at launch?

Phillip Dyson
08-25-2009, 06:49 PM
It seems like we gone back and forth as to whether an app store will be available at launch or not.

Well, just for kicks lets assume that the App store will be available at launch.
Here's the question. What apps would you like to see at the launch of Microsofts latest media device? Just to make it difficult, limit your list the top 3.

I know that the discussion will probably stray into the question about whether a particular app belongs on a media device, but lets keep it open.

Here are mine:

Ebook Reader -- Preferably one that supports EPub and the Fictionwise format and DRM.
Audible Player -- I would like a more robust player that allows me to make book marks, browse and navigate to named chapters. Basically an ebook reader but for audio books.
Netflix Application -- I would say at the least akin to the app on Windows Mobile but with a more robust searching feature.
There is my 3. What are yours?

David Tucker
08-25-2009, 09:58 PM
Hope you don't mind that I accosted your topic ;)

1) Hulu player - I was thinking along similar lines as you. Instead of Netflix though I was thinking of Hulu.

2) Shazam - It'd be nice to always know what was playing where ever you are in case you like it!

3) Band tracker - I'd love to have an app that told me where my favorite bands were touring and where at a glance.

Phillip Dyson
08-25-2009, 11:46 PM
Hope you don't mind that I accosted your topic ;)

Wow! Front Page! Sometimes there is something useful going on inside my head. :)

thanks

I like your Band Tracker idea. I don't go to concerts often, but every so often I find out that I just missed someone that I really like.

Hulu was also a good call. That gets you right to the content.

SoundMix
08-26-2009, 12:20 AM
Very good suggestions above.

I would like an App that syncs with WMP/WMC so I can sync my DRM'ed video files that will not/cannot sync using Zune software.

Of course these files already sync with other MP3 players that are Play for Sure compatable... the Zune isn't. Go figure.

Paul

priesmeyer
08-26-2009, 02:47 AM
Social Networking is kind of a big deal these days.

I'd say the first three apps that are available need to address this. There are great apps for Blackberry and iPhone and adequate ones for Windows Mobile that are just big gaping holes in the proverbial Zune AppStore if it comes to be.

1. Twitter - there needs to be a slick Twitter application. UberTweet or TwitterBerry come to mind and I'm sure there are slick iPhone Twitter apps. We need one to show off when asked.
2. Facebook - Facebook is pretty good about creating official apps on the various platforms. The Blackberry app is pretty sweet and it would be great to have a richer user experience than the simple web interface for the aforementioned apps.
3. I don't really have a 3rd choice at this time but I'd have to guess, based upon the top requests I've seen for Windows Mobile back in my day, that some sort of calendar/contact organizer would be great.

Having said that, this is first and foremost a music player and I'd like to see something that compliments this fact. This should be a fun device and not get too business related.

Ron Hostetter
08-26-2009, 03:22 AM
I'd like to be able to sync my podcasts when I'm on the road. I travel a lot, but my main PC where I keep my Zune collection is at home. When I'm on the road, I can't automatically get the latest episodes of my subscribed podcasts.

I'd also love to see a hulu player, and the band tracker idea is epic.

And I it'd be cool to be able to call up the lyrics for a song I'm listening to. The Bio info is awesome, though.

Phillip Dyson
08-26-2009, 03:34 PM
I'd like to be able to sync my podcasts when I'm on the road. I travel a lot, but my main PC where I keep my Zune collection is at home. When I'm on the road, I can't automatically get the latest episodes of my subscribed podcasts.

Removing the desktop showstopper is key to me. I use Overdrive (http://search.overdrive.com/)on occasion to check audio books out from my local library and just got notification that a book that I had on hold was available. Unfortunately I can't put anything on my Zune until I get home.

witchywoman7
08-27-2009, 05:12 PM
I would love to see:
<O:p</O:p

1. Ebook reader (like the Kindle) <O:p</O:p
2. Flash capabilities (not hardware as the thread is APPs but hardware expansion would be nice)<O:p</O:p
3. Phone integrations