View Full Version : Windows Media Center Support Still Limited

David Tucker
08-19-2009, 06:53 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.engadget.com/2009/08/14/zune-4-0-software-wont-play-nice-with-hdtv-media-center-recordi/' target='_blank'>http://www.engadget.com/2009/08/14/...center-recordi/</a><br /><br /></div><p><em>"Zune HD, and the forthcoming Zune 4.0 PC software, will support and transcode Windows Media Center recorded TV file formats from Windows Vista or Windows 7 that contain MPEG-2 video, in either the DVR-MS or WTV formats. Support is limited to unencrypted SD and HD recordings. HD Files with AC3 audio are not supported by Zune."</em></p><p>As <a href="http://www.engadget.com/2009/08/14/zune-4-0-software-wont-play-nice-with-hdtv-media-center-recordi/" target="_blank">Engadget points out</a> (and I was entirely unaware of), this effectively makes HD recordings incompatible with the Zune as the broadcasts all use Dolby Digital AC-3 audio. This is really a shame because it shows that despite all of the promise of interoperability between Microsoft's many excellent platforms, it still hasn't really come close to happening yet. The Zune, XBox and WMC are all, in and of themselves, fine products.</p><p>What would really give them an edge over the competition is if they all worked together seamlessly and its still something that they really don't do except in the most rudimentary ways. I know the guys up in Redmond are all very good at what they do so I don't understand what is keeping them from really giving us a truly broad ecosystem for personal entertainment from top to bottom.</p>

ACE
08-20-2009, 03:12 PM
Yeah, I really wish they'd bring this 'connected entertainment' experience they've been talking about for years to fruition. Unfortunately I think MS. Is plagued by what every corporation is diseased with - politics. If the lines are blurred between platforms, how would one platform's productivity/incentives be quantified? It would be great for consumers, but I believe petty selfish conservatism is what's really holding innovation back from what would ultimately be a win-win situation for Microsoft as a whole... People are too into their fair share when they can't look past the end of their nose to see a more promising and fruitful alternative...

It's a shame really that people's ego and self-preservation inhibits change on a radical and game-changing way...

David Tucker
08-20-2009, 05:36 PM
If you aren't on the mark I'm sure its at least a big part of it. The irony is that if they would just forget about their cross platform competition it would probably greatly benefit ALL the involved parties.

USArcher
08-20-2009, 05:50 PM
The HD-AC3 limitation just seems artificial to me. I'd like to hear from the Zune team on this. I believe MVPs will be meeting with the Zune team around the time they launch Zune next month...that would be a good opportunity to ask.

I'm still holding out hope there is more integration with Media Center than just syncing shows. This device is extremely capable and the opportunity is there to...

- Make Zune MarketPlace accessible from within Media Center. Especially useful for Zune Pass subscribers.

- Turn Zune device w/AV Dock into a Media Center Extender
and/or
- Turn Zune device into a Media Center/Extender remote. Think Sonos controller.

David Tucker
08-20-2009, 06:30 PM
This would effectively make a Zune + WMC a portable DVR. Seems to me with how they're marketing the ZuneHD that that is exactly what they should have made happen. :confused:

SoundMix
08-21-2009, 02:09 AM
I'd be happy if my Zune were capable of playing the DRM'ed videos that play fine in WMC. It doesn't. Version 4 will be no better according to Engaget.

However, My Cowan D2 has no trouble syncing to WPC and playing the DRM'ed videos. The Zune software refuses accept the files that WMC has no problem with. Go figure.

If the Zune team cannot play nicely with WMC they are either clueless or don't care.

Paul