View Full Version : Zune Applications Coming?

David Tucker
08-14-2009, 09:32 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://daringfireball.net/2009/08/zune_apps' target='_blank'>http://daringfireball.net/2009/08/zune_apps</a><br /><br /></div><p><em>" 'After my post, I got an email from the developer of an iPhone Twitter client. He was contacted by Microsoft a few months ago, with an offer to port his app to the Zune in exchange for 'a bucket of money'. He turned them down, but assumes, as I do, that Microsoft reached out to the developers of multiple popular iPhone apps.' "</em></p><p>John Gruber over at Daring Fireball has made some <a href="http://daringfireball.net/2009/08/zune_apps" target="_blank">interesting speculation</a> about the likelihood of applications coming to the Zune HD. Personally, I'm not quite as convinced as John about what exactly this means. I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft wanted to see some of these applications on the Windows Mobile OS as well.</p><p>Even if this does indicate that applications are coming to the Zune, I don't think this will mean all that much if they do it how they've done games so far. Some preloaded games and apps aren't really very impressive compared to the Apple App Store. I'm still not that convinced its even needed anyway but that's just my opinion!</p>

Alber1690
08-15-2009, 05:36 AM
I've been asking people if they would get a Zune HD, and one thing that they always say is that if it has an App store similar to that of the iPhone/iPod Touch, that they'd definitely consider it. I think that for a grand section of consumers, the whole "app" craze is definitely hitting big time, especially with the massive marketing campaign Apple has for showing off the eye candy and functionality of their app world. Personally, I think apps would just pay respect to the Zune HD's awesome technical capabilities with the Tegra chip and everything else. It has so much technical potential that it would be very sad and stupid for Microsoft not make use of it. I understand the whole "media-centric ide" behind the Zune, but come on, there just has to be a reason by Apple is switching gears and putting more attention on the iPod Touch-esque mobile model.

flamingotrip
08-15-2009, 08:51 AM
I'm still waiting for the Zune store to be worldwide. I can see why there might not be in Europe or Asia but cmon, no love for Canada? Im only 3 hours away :3

Jason Dunn
08-15-2009, 03:44 PM
I think that for a grand section of consumers, the whole "app" craze is definitely hitting big time, especially with the massive marketing campaign Apple has for showing off the eye candy and functionality of their app world.

Indeed - for being a software company, Microsoft has been horribly slow to get on the "App Train". The Zune needs a kick-ass app story in order for it to really compete with the iPod (which is clearly the device it wants to compete against). My fear is that it's going to take Microsoft 12+ months to get the apps rolling on the Zune HD, which will suck. Look at what happened with games on the Zune - basically nothing. :(

Phillip Dyson
08-16-2009, 12:34 AM
I certainly do hope to get apps. The first ones would be a great eReader app and Audible app.

Although they're being hush about it I have not doubt that we'll see a complete ecosystem here. There really is no other way for this device to have any longevity.

Heck as a Zune80 user, I'm glad that I have a browser to authenticate with all of the hotspots around. Now I actually have a reason to turn the Wifi on and browse the marketplace.

If they're smart they'll start with pushing their live services. They're practically web apps already.

WM 6.5 has introduced widget support and the Zune platform will probably do the same. Its the same strategy Apple and Palm took. First the web apps. Then they release an SDK for native applications.

The Windows Marketplace for Mobile will role out to the Zune with a later firmware update, then it will be full speed ahead from there.

USArcher
08-16-2009, 01:35 AM
I believe the delay with Zune Games is attributed to a business decision to let the XBox group manage game distribution and solidifying the business model they want to pursue. You can imagine the debate that went on between the XBox, Zune and Mobile teams as to how games should be distributed. Is Windows MarketPlace just an general app store for mobile phones? My guess is that XBLA style games will be distributed via Zune MarketPlace because they can better target Zune "capable" mobile devices. Has anyone seen what the new Zune MarketPlace looks like?

jaxim
08-16-2009, 01:16 PM
>I'm still not that convinced its even needed anyway but that's just my opinion!

They definitely need to allow apps on the ZuneHD to compete with the Touch. If/When they implement an app's on the Zune, I hope they do NOT take Apple's lead but allow developers to sell their apps directly to the consumer and/or not to have a draconian-censoring-closed approval process. As a developer, I was thinking of learning to develop for the iPhone/Touch but when I heard the possibility that the Zune may have such a feature, I decided to wait to learn how to code for the Zune instead. If they are planning on allolwing apps, I wish they would offer the SDK really soon so developers (like me) can start developing for it.

jfreiman
08-17-2009, 02:51 AM
Are we supposed to believe that a sofware developer was offered "a bucket of money" for writing a program and they walked away from the deal?

This doesn't sound like a delevoper to me, it sounds like bull or it's a silly hobiest trying to be an Apple loyalist.

Bring on the real news.

Alber1690
08-17-2009, 08:59 AM
My fear is that it's going to take Microsoft 12+ months to get the apps rolling on the Zune HD, which will suck. Look at what happened with games on the Zune - basically nothing. :(

I share the same fear. Though what is rather interesting is how different team members who have shown off the Zune HD respond to questions about app support. I remember Brian Seitz saying on the recent CNet podcast (http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-12519_7-10307693-49.html) that it would be something that they would later think about if it made sense for them to pursue. However, in another video I remember a different Zune team member (don't know who it is) saying that apps were very much in the planning. Here's the video (http://www.viddler.com/explore/engadget/videos/517); at 5:34 he says that they're just not disclosing it yet. Hmm....:rolleyes:

You can imagine the debate that went on between the XBox, Zune and Mobile teams as to how games should be distributed.

Good point. As I thought about reasons as to why the Zune team would be so reluctant to have a full-steam plan to hit big with apps, I kept thinking about the already fragile Windows Mobile franchise and its own plan of revival with Windows Mobile Markeplace (someone didn't think of calling it "Windows Phone Marketplace?") as the app store solution. But, where things could get tricky would be if there was ever any Zune integration into Windows Phones. Assuming the Zune HD would get apps (as it should) then there's the question about multiple brands/stores for apps (Zune Marketplace or Windows Mobile Marketplace selling apps for Zunes?) Would Microsoft want to operate two app stores? Apparantly it thinks two media stores (Xbox Live Marketplace and Zune Marketplace) would work better under one brand, so is there a similar fate in the works for Zune and Windows Mobile? Or could this be where "OneApp (http://www.engadget.com/2009/07/15/microsoft-trademark-application-hints-at-cross-platform-oneapp/)" comes into play? Sure hope so.