View Full Version : HELP: Reinstall XP & New ActiveSync Partnership

Richard76
06-10-2009, 01:26 AM
I wasn't sure where to put this because my problem covers both hardware and software. My laptop crashed big time after uninstalling an anti-virus package so I have been forced to reinstall Windows XP Pro.

After reinstalling Office, Outlook and ActiveSync I am trying to sync my data back to my laptop from my Tilt (WM6.1). As soon as I connected it, a message said that this device was already syncing with another PC so I should change the name on this partnership, which I did. I then set up the items (less Email because it was the second partnership) that I wanted to sync but I was afraid to click "Next" thinking that a 2-way sync would delete all data from my Tilt because Outlook is empty.

I then thought I should try to delete the original partnership on the Tilt and start from scratch but the screen message said that if I continued it would also wipe out all the data on my device!

I know there is a screen that comes up at some point and gives you an option to do a 2-way sync or a 1-way transfer (either device to PC or PC to device) but is that only when this is a completely "fresh" connection. Or does is come up after you have selected the items (Contacts, Calendar, etc.) that you want to sync?

Reid Kistler
06-19-2009, 10:31 PM
Hopefully you were able to resolve your Sync question some days ago - ?? - and found the dialog for Device Overwrites Desktop / Desktop Overwrites Device....

In any event, always find that it is a Wise Decision to make a BACKUP of any data that should be preserved - ideally on BOTH devices - as have been "fooled" in the past & found self in position where the Backup was a life-saver!

Richard76
06-21-2009, 01:02 AM
Yes, I was able to get all data back into my "virgin" Outlook from my Tilt, thank you. As it turns out, that dialogue box comes up after you select the items you want to sync (Contacts, Canlendar, etc.).

After thinking about it for a bit, I remembered and just left it as a 2-way sync (combine items on handheld with items in Outlook). As Outlook had no data, all data was transferred from the Tilt to Outlook and everything was good again.

It has been a while since I have been in that situation as I have been "playing" with an iPhone for a few months now and I guess I was just getting confused because you can't do this with an iPhone (at least without a 3rd party program).