View Full Version : Zune HD to Come in 16 GB and 32 GB Capacities?

Jason Dunn
06-08-2009, 10:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.craveonline.com/lifestyle/article/a-look-at-the-zune-hd-78073' target='_blank'>http://www.craveonline.com/lifestyl...e-zune-hd-78073</a><br /><br /></div><p><em>"The Zune HD also comes with Internet Explorer (with tap-to-zoom technology), which means you'll not only have access to you favorite websites, but you'll also have access to other Wi-Fi features like song sharing, channel streaming, and the Zune Marketplace). Beyond that, the Zune HD has everything you'd expect a PMP to have and the standard Zune stuff, such as podcasts, Zune Pass, games, and a photo viewer. Zune HD is available with either 16GB or 32GB."</em></p><p>We know that the Zune HD is going to be Flash-based, but Microsoft has remained tight-lipped on the exact storage capacities that the Zune HD will be offered with. An <span style="text-decoration: line-through;">Canadian</span> American publication named CRAVE has <a href="http://www.craveonline.com/lifestyle/article/a-look-at-the-zune-hd-78073" target="_blank">published an article in which</a>, as you can see by the quote above, the storage capacities are listed in a matter-of-fact way at 16 GB and 32 GB. I emailed the editors at CRAVE last week to ask for a confirmation of this information, because it wasn't presented as a rumour or a "maybe this is what it will have", but the editors didn't reply to my email. So will the Zune come in 16 GB and 32 GB capacities? It seems like a reasonable guess - 8 GB would be too small to be of much use with HD content, and 64 GB would likely drive the price of the device through the roof. So what we're left with is either 16 GB, 32 GB, or both. Will those be the two storage capacities we'll see this fall? We'll see...</p><p><strong>UPDATE:</strong> The Managing Editor at Crave got back to me, and the author got the 16/32 GB capacity information from <a href="http://www.pcworld.com/article/163153/more_zune_hd_details_emerge.html" target="_blank">this PC World article</a> where they also are quite matter-of-fact about the storage capacities.</p>

SoundMix
06-08-2009, 10:54 PM
Anything less than 120GB is doing absolutely nothing for me. If they don't go out of business after the 3rd generation models, maybe they'll get it right on the 4th generation. :mad:

Phillip Dyson
06-09-2009, 12:10 AM
Maybe they were just speculating based on Apple's 16GB and 32GB iPhones.

Jason Dunn
06-09-2009, 01:21 AM
Anything less than 120GB is doing absolutely nothing for me.

Yes, when Microsoft chose to go with flash memory, they made the choice to alienate the people who need huge storage. I doubt a 128 GB flash memory Zune HD would be affordable until 2011 at best, so you're in for a long wait.

Jason Dunn
06-09-2009, 01:22 AM
Maybe they were just speculating based on Apple's 16GB and 32GB iPhones.

It's entirely possible - it's just strange the writer would state it as a fact unless he knew for sure...

colmets123
06-09-2009, 03:11 AM
Yes, when Microsoft chose to go with flash memory, they made the choice to alienate the people who need huge storage. I doubt a 128 GB flash memory Zune HD would be affordable until 2011 at best, so you're in for a long wait.

If that is the case, I will have to wait till 2010. I have to much music to keep taking and adding songs so that it fits a 32 gb drive. Maybe Microsoft has something under their sleeves..cross my fingers!!:confused:

SoundMix
06-09-2009, 02:36 PM
The only thing that keeps me with Zune is the PC software. It is much better than Media Center and Media Player. Forget I-Tunes because I will never buy another Apple anything.

So where does that leave me? The main problem with the Zune software is it will not allow me to sync any DRM files I have that play fine in Media Center/Media player. This is just plain ignorance and stupidity by the Zune team. How can three softwares from the same company not work in harmony? I have the license so MAKE IT WORK!

It is impossibe to play legal digital copies of movies except in MediaCenter/Media player. Sure, I can get around it, but why should I have to?

I purchase CD's/DVD's/BD's outright. I purchase mp3 downloads from Amazon. So....social and marketplace leave me flat, except for Podcasts which I use a lot. Just give me something that plays my media.

Jason Dunn
06-09-2009, 05:56 PM
If that is the case, I will have to wait till 2010. I have to much music to keep taking and adding songs so that it fits a 32 gb drive.

I know the feeling - I have 88 GB of music, so only the Zune 120 can carry ALL of it. But the number of people like us that have huge amounts of music is quite small - the last study on this that I heard about said that the average person has less then 4 GB of music...which is why the small-capacity players are so popular. Microsoft has to go where the market is, so the Zune HD will very likely top out at 32 GB. I don't mind to much myself - I have my smaller Zunes set to sync music purchased in the last 90 days, so I have my new music to listen to.

We're in the stage with Flash-based MP3 players now that we were in with digital cameras when buying a 2 GB memory card cost $200. Now storage on digital cameras is practically irrelevant - memory cards are SO cheap. That's one reason why I wish Microsoft had done the Zune HD with a microSD memory card slot...then the Zune could grow as flash memory capacity grows.

Jason Dunn
06-09-2009, 05:58 PM
So where does that leave me? The main problem with the Zune software is it will not allow me to sync any DRM files I have that play fine in Media Center/Media player. This is just plain ignorance and stupidity by the Zune team. How can three softwares from the same company not work in harmony? I have the license so MAKE IT WORK!

I can understand your frustration - this issue was brought up at the MVP Summit when we were talking with the Zune team. They understand how frustrating this issue is - but like all things involving licensing and lawyers, it's never as simple as you want it to be. The Zune software is a different beast than Windows Media Player, but I think the reason why it doesn't work is more because of licensing restrictions than any technical reason.

Here's hoping things get better this year...

colmets123
06-11-2009, 12:05 AM
I know the feeling - I have 88 GB of music, so only the Zune 120 can carry ALL of it. But the number of people like us that have huge amounts of music is quite small - the last study on this that I heard about said that the average person has less then 4 GB of music...which is why the small-capacity players are so popular.

***long quote trimmed by mod JD***

I just got my 120gb and I love it so it I am not to upset about. It just seems the Zune HD has so much more that I want one but not willing to dish out 399.99 (guessing price) to swap music. Wow, the average person only has 4gb of music? That is crazy and I cannot imagine just 4gb of music on my MP3 player. My whole Metallica and Slayer library eats up about 8gb's and not including the videos. Oh, well....

SoundMix
09-16-2009, 08:30 PM
Sony just released the A840, 64GB, OLED and no touch screen. Let's go Zune team...The Zune HD needs at least 64GB.