View Full Version : Windows Vista Service Pack 2 (SP2) Available For Download

Jason Dunn
05-26-2009, 08:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/05/26/microsoft-releases-windows-vista-sp2-and-server-2008-sp2' target='_blank'>http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/...server-2008-sp2</a><br /><br /></div><p>If you hit Windows Update today, you'll likely be presented with a big 343 MB download - that's SP2 for Windows Vista. I'm in the midst of installing it on one of my machines right now, but the download is taking a very long time...I suspect the Windows Update servers are saturated with people requesting this update. You can always grab the stand-alone installer if you wish (<a href="http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=a4dd31d5-f907-4406-9012-a5c3199ea2b3&amp;DisplayLang=en" target="_blank">32-bit</a>, <a href="http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=656c9d4a-55ec-4972-a0d7-b1a6fedf51a7&amp;DisplayLang=en" target="_blank">64-bit</a>). In terms of what's new, well, not much of anything interesting - <a href="http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd335036(WS.10).aspx" target="_blank">this Technet article</a> has the full list, but nothing jumped out at me. Unlike SP1, which had major performance improvements, SP2 is more about the bug fixes and improving compatibility with third-party software. Honestly, the more I use Windows 7 the more I want to ditch Windows Vista. Not because there's anything wrong with Vista, but because Windows 7 is even better.</p>

brianchris
05-27-2009, 04:12 PM
I've already been playing with Windows 7 RC1, and agree it's good, but I like Vista too, and will be running Vista on my main machines unitl Windows 7 is officially released.

That is the reason I've actually been waiting for Vista SP2 for a LONG time, primarily for naitive BluRay burning! Now I don't have to load some bloated burning suite of apps to burn BluRay discs!! Today is a good day!!! Thanks for the heads up :)

Jason Dunn
05-27-2009, 11:38 PM
That is the reason I've actually been waiting for Vista SP2 for a LONG time, primarily for naitive BluRay burning! Now I don't have to load some bloated burning suite of apps to burn BluRay discs!! Today is a good day!!! Thanks for the heads up :)

Oh wow - I didn't even know that was one of the features. I don't have a Blu-ray burner on any of my computers, so I guess that's why I didn't notice. :)

Bob Christensen
05-28-2009, 05:12 AM
My Bluetooth Microsoft mouse quit working after Vista SP2 was installed. I'll have to try the mouse on another computer tomorrow to confirm that it's not the mouse.

Twain
05-28-2009, 07:43 AM
My Bluetooth Microsoft mouse quit working after Vista SP2 was installed. I'll have to try the mouse on another computer tomorrow to confirm that it's not the mouse.

I installed Vista SP2 yesterday on a computer that I use with a Bluetooth mouse and have had no problems.

brianchris
05-28-2009, 03:55 PM
I installed Vista SP2 yesterday on a computer that I use with a Bluetooth mouse and have had no problems.

Same here: Microsoft Bluetooth mouse...no issues post Vista SP2 install.

Kacey Green
05-29-2009, 02:35 AM
Bluetooth was one of the changes.

I didn't see it on a manual check so I installed it from the biggie pack.

I'm using 7 on my main machine until the RTM the others will stay Vista SP2 (except the virtual XP mode VM on 7 of course)

I wish language packs would show up as language packs and not "other updates" so I wouldn't have to hide them to get that good clean look, I'd just notice if the number ever changed under the language section (assuming I don't' go out and learn one and install it).

rdbachman
06-01-2009, 05:44 PM
I just installed SP2 and bluetooth will not work for me either. In Device Manager, two components are unable to start: Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator and Bluetooth Device (RFCOMM Protocol TDI).

Anyone have any thoughts how to fix these? I have tried to uninstall and reinstall both devices.

remember
06-09-2009, 11:21 AM
I also lost my Bluetooth mouse after installing Vista SP2. Both Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator and Bluetooth Device (RFCOMM Protocol TDI) are failing in device manager. I have reinstalled both drivers and also reinstalled mouse driver software.

The Bluetooth does appear to be working though cos if you go into the Bluetooth Devices control panel and try to add a device, it can see my mouse and various other devices in the area. I tried to pair manually and it says that it has paired and will now try to install drivers. Nothing happens after this and the mouse isn't actually paired since its pairing light keeps flashing.

I'm using a Vaio notebook with built-in Bluetooth. I have tried disabling and reneabling Bluetooth using the toggle switches on the laptop and also using the Sony software toggles. Nothing makes any difference.

I'll keep an eye on this post in case anyone figures out a solution.

brianchris
06-09-2009, 06:12 PM
This may be a statement of the obvious, but perhaps different Bluetooth chipsets / stacks were negatively affected by Vista SP2 while other Bluetooth chipsets / stacks were not?

bdaugherity
07-21-2009, 02:10 AM
I am having the exact same problem with Bluetooth after installing SP2 for Vista. I used to sync my phone (Treo) regularly and all of a sudden the same two functions are not working under Device Manager: Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator and Bluetooth Device (RFCOMM Protocol TDI) #2. Does Microsoft know its SP2 update is doing this?? Does anyone know a good Microsoft forum/board to post to, or how to contact the company?? At least I know I'm not alone!! Thanks, Brian