View Full Version : Activesync and backup

q-live
05-14-2009, 05:55 PM
I maybe mistaken but isnt there a backup option somewhere in active sync to back up your whole phone and if so where is it located

Reid Kistler
05-15-2009, 07:18 PM
option somewhere in active sync to back up your whole phone

Backing up an entire device is not a function I would associate with ActiveSync.

Alas, do not KNOW that AS lacks that ability, but if it is present it certainly seems well hidden. :confused:

The Axim and Fuze each came with specific "Backup" applications, which implies that AS lacks that specific ability: would expect most vendors to be too cost-conscious to include redundant apps....

OTOH, syncing CAN result in a good safety net for your data: even though the installed programs are not backed-up, the data itself ends up safely on your desktop/laptop. While it is a moderate pain to have to reinstall your apps it is better to do that than to ALSO have to re-create your data files - if that is even possible!

Sven Johannsen
05-17-2009, 04:02 AM
Earlier versions of ActiveSync had backup capabilities, but never the whole PPC. The backup feature went away with As 4.0 and later when PPCs got non-volatile memory. I'd definitely go with some third party product for PPC imaging.

q-live
05-19-2009, 12:48 AM
Earlier versions of ActiveSync had backup capabilities, but never the whole PPC. The backup feature went away with As 4.0 and later when PPCs got non-volatile memory. I'd definitely go with some third party product for PPC imaging.

do you know any good ppc back up software

Sven Johannsen
05-20-2009, 12:37 PM
Both Sprite Backup, http://www.spritesoftware.com/products , and SPB Backup, http://www.spbsoftwarehouse.com/products/backup/?en , are effective, well respected and favorably reviewed options. I've used both over time, but not using either at the moment.

My personal opinion is that the majority of important data is already backed up via AS/WMDC syncing with Outlook/Exchange. Other data is on the non-volatile flash card. If I get to the point at which I need to hard reset the device, losing all my apps and settings, it's probably time to re-build anyway, so being able to restore isn't a big issue for me. Just my way. Depends on how you use your device.