View Full Version : Dust under screen - is this warranty-replaceable?

ctmagnus
04-27-2009, 09:44 PM
Less than a week ago, I noticed a speck of dust under my iPhone 3G's screen. Now there are at least six specks, all within an inch or so of the home button.

Is this warranty replaceable, or will I have to live with it?

Vincent Ferrari
04-27-2009, 09:49 PM
Less than a week ago, I noticed a speck of dust under my iPhone 3G's screen. Now there are at least six specks, all within an inch or so of the home button.

Is this warranty replaceable, or will I have to live with it?

My assumption is no, and I just noticed some under mine a few days ago also. It's not the end of the world but it is REALLY aggravating and annoying!

ctmagnus
04-27-2009, 09:54 PM
The aggravating and annoying part is what gets me. :( At least the touch screen still functions there.

Remember the iPaq 3670? That was what, seven years ago? The dust problem appeared to be fixed. Maybe it's cyclical.

doogald
04-27-2009, 10:31 PM
I'd call Apple to find out (or make an appointment at an Apple Store. if that's convenient, and ask there) - it can't hurt to ask.

This (http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=9142417) suggests that maybe they will replace it.

ctmagnus
04-27-2009, 11:08 PM
I plan to. I went to the concierge site to do so, but they only take appointments up to three days in advance, and the next time I'll be near an Apple Store is Monday.

ctmagnus
04-28-2009, 04:02 AM
Also, is it necessary to return the phone with the box, ac adapter, sync cable, etc.?

doogald
04-28-2009, 03:20 PM
I have been to the Genius Bar once and, while I was there, they did three iPhone and iPod swaps for people who did not have boxes, etc. - it was just a straight device swap. If it were me, though, I'd probably bring the stuff anyway.