View Full Version : Omnia not getting internet connection when ActiveSynced

rodrigo_braz
04-19-2009, 09:38 PM
Hi,

I just got a Samsung Omnia and am setting it up. One thing that surprises me is that I cannot access the internet even when it is connected to ActiveSync. I could definitely do that with my Axim. Do I have to set anything up for that?

PS: Google Maps and PodCasts are able to connect, so this seems to be a browser issue. Neither IE or Opera work. Any ideas why?

Thanks,

Rodrigo

Richard76
06-10-2009, 01:37 AM
When connected, click on "File" then "Connection Settings". Put a check mark in the last box that says, "Allow wireless connection on device when connected to the desktop".

Sven Johannsen
06-10-2009, 10:28 PM
When connected, click on "File" then "Connection Settings". Put a check mark in the last box that says, "Allow wireless connection on device when connected to the desktop".
Yea but, I don't think that is what he really wanted. That supposedly lets your GSM/HSPDA connection work while you are connected to a PC. That can be seen as a security issue, having an open wireless device 'attached' to your network, which is why it is normally off. It also costs you data when it shouldn't need to.

You are already connected to the internet via 'ActiveSync Pass Through' and that is evidenced by some applications that require net access actually being able to update/retrieve new data. I too have noted that there are other applications that do not seem to have Web access via AS, on some of my newer (WM5/6) devices. Notably PIE throws up 'page not found' as if there is no connection. I chalked that up to one of the many features/capabilities I lost when 'upgrading' to WM5/6 and AS beyond 3.8. :confused: Haven't been super annoyed at that one, because I typically have a fast computer with a big screen in front of me when my WM device is connected via AS.;)

rodrigo_braz
06-10-2009, 11:37 PM
Thanks, guys. Sven is right. I wanted to get internet through my main computer just for testing browsers while still not having a SIM card. I agree that that's not a common scenario.

Best,

Rodrigo

Sven Johannsen
06-11-2009, 04:25 AM
I agree that that's not a common scenario.
It's not that uncommon, or even bizarre. It is very handy for those things that you might want to update via AS/fixed internet, but not so much using a data plan. Could be things like weather forecasts, newsreader downloads, things that you may just need updated once in the morning before heading off on your day, but don't really want to spend GPRS data on. Many web data centric programs let you specify whether to use cell data, or just wifi or AS connections, for just that reason.

It is more critical outside the US, I would think, where unlimited (cough, cough, 5G) data plans aren't the norm. Just imperically I have noticed that some apps seem to work via AS and some don't, as in, I have found weather apps that won't update via AS and some that will. Don't ask which, off hand I don't recall, because I just turn on the 'go ahead and use the cellular data' check box and don't worry about it any more.

epdm2be
06-28-2009, 12:15 PM
Thanks, guys. Sven is right. I wanted to get internet through my main computer just for testing browsers while still not having a SIM card. I agree that that's not a common scenario.

Best,

Rodrigo

The Omnia has Wifi too, isn't it?
Connect Omnia through your Wifi router for webbrowsing which will be faster than that 12Mb/s USB port anyway.

In fact according to specs. The omnia's USB port can transfer 12Mb/s while the HTC Touch Diamond/pro can (supposedly) transfer 480Mb/s. Is it real 480Mb/s or is that just advertising blabla. Is there a noticable difference between these two? Has anyone benchmarked these active sync speeds on these devices? Especially since Omnia and Diamond are direct competitors.

Cheers