View Full Version : DVI to VGA adapters

Joel Crane
04-08-2009, 01:41 AM
I've been using dual monitors with Windows XP for a long time now through my Radeon 9200se VGA output and a secondary PCI videocard. I'm gradually switching over to ubuntu Linux, but I'm running into a problem with dual monitors. Linux doesn't support two different videocards yet, it only supports dual output through the dualhead on my Radeon, of which one connector is DVI. My cheap eBay DVI to VGA converter makes for a very ugly output, with lots of blur and 3 shadows off the right of every object.

Are all DVI to VGA converters like this? Can anyone suggest a better converter? Thanks!

Lee Yuan Sheng
04-08-2009, 03:30 PM
I'm pretty certain that the adapter is but a simple pass through. I don't think there's much you can do to the connection, beyond making sure there is no external EM interference causing the display to act up.

The other option is to upgrade the card to one that has dual DVI outputs.

Joel Crane
04-08-2009, 06:55 PM
I'm converting it from DVI to VGA, so I would need dual VGA outputs. An AGP dual VGA card probably isn't available. On top of that, I really can't fit another videocard into the budget right now, that's why I haven't just gone down to Best Buy and picked up another adapter to see if it works better.

Joel Crane
04-14-2009, 05:19 PM
I purchased another DVI to VGA adapter. It looks exactly the same, very blurry with shadows.