View Full Version : HTC Will Be Offering a Windows Mobile 6.5 Upgrade, For Free, On the Touch Diamond2 and Touch Pro2

Jason Dunn
04-06-2009, 11:43 PM
<p>I just received word back from an HTC representative that they are indeed going to be offering a free upgrade to Windows Mobile 6.5 on both their Touch Diamond2 and the Touch Pro2:</p><p><em>"What I can say on the matter is that HTC has committed to offer a free upgrade from Windows Mobile 6.1 to Windows Mobile 6.5 for both the Touch Diamond2 and Touch Pro2. I don't have details on timing by carrier or region - just that we will be offering the upgrade for free."</em></p><p>This fact had been assumed by some people, but every written comment I could find simply stated that these two phones were "upgradeable" to 6.5. As we all know, being technically upgradeable means nothing in this market - only a public comittment to actually do the upgrade is what matters. Now that HTC has made this comittment, you can go ahead with your <a href="http://www.expansys-usa.com/p.aspx?i=179174&amp;partner=pthoughts" target="_blank">Touch Pro2</a> and <a href="http://www.expansys-usa.com/p.aspx?i=179176&amp;partner=pthoughts" target="_blank">Touch Diamond2</a> purchases from our affiliate store. ;-)</p>

Fritzly
04-07-2009, 02:12 PM
Thanks Jason; I am going to cancel... the order cancellation.

Phillip Dyson
04-07-2009, 02:40 PM
I would probably pull the trigger if they had US 3G.

Jason Dunn
04-07-2009, 03:35 PM
I would probably pull the trigger if they had US 3G.

Yeah, hopefully that's coming soon..

kerrins
04-07-2009, 05:50 PM
I didn't see TYTN or Tilt mentioned...bummer.

Jason Dunn
04-07-2009, 07:08 PM
I didn't see TYTN or Tilt mentioned...bummer.

No, it's only for this brand new hardware...which sucks, but shouldn't be a surprise at all. :(

Bob Anderson
04-07-2009, 07:44 PM
I'm glad HTC has come out and made public what they intend to support via hardware upgrades. Now - the real question will be - what carriers will offer it?

Carriers are the ones that have to field the "I bricked my phone during upgrade" calls and all the other support issues caused by re-flashing the ROM so I won't be surprised if they "pass" or take months to release the upgrade (hey, maybe people will see the 6.5 upgrade about a month before the 7 system is release LOL.)

Master Loon
04-07-2009, 08:37 PM
I am hoping it will come to Tmobile. I have and like android,but the promise of WM6.5 is inticing not to mention I think the Pro 2 is as sexy as a phone can come.

Jason Dunn
04-07-2009, 08:58 PM
Carriers are the ones that have to field the "I bricked my phone during upgrade" calls and all the other support issues caused by re-flashing the ROM so I won't be surprised if they "pass" or take months to release the upgrade (hey, maybe people will see the 6.5 upgrade about a month before the 7 system is release LOL.)

I know exactly what you mean. I'm still waiting for th 6.1 upgrade for my wife's phone on Telus. :mad:

azhiker
04-08-2009, 01:13 AM
Everything I read so far does not indicate the Touch Pro 2 will come to ATT at least not for a long time. What a shame!!! My Pocket PC died just last week and my cell phone is ancient. Since T-Mobile is getting the new touch pro and my AT&T contract is over I guess I may switch. However, the 3G network of ATT may keep me waiting a bit longer. Any advice?

eNurse
04-08-2009, 03:33 AM
Any word on the Palm Treo Pro for the 6.5 upgrade?

mmidgley
04-08-2009, 05:34 AM
of course a 6.5 upgrade is not a given until htc says so (hopefully they stick with their statement!) but i really was already assuming quite strongly that the *2's would get it--whether the original touch pro and diamond would get a 6.5 upgrade is what's interesting I think. is it all politics? is there ANY hardware reason they couldn't run 6.5?? the fuze is still quite top-notch on specs. their decision is going to keep xda-like groups running hot with this stuff.

upgrades are never a given-- but for the devices I've bought I've seen a trend that each device gets one major os upgrade (ie my TYTN from AT&T went from WM5 to WM6, a bit of a surprise, but seems reasonable). so, the same type of upgrade for the fuze makes sense to me. i realize it would be delayed forever since they haven't even release their wm6.1 fix'er'upper fuze rom yet.

m.

Jason Dunn
04-08-2009, 11:08 PM
Any word on the Palm Treo Pro for the 6.5 upgrade?

I haven't heard anything about 6.5 for other devices - sorry. The reality is that the code still isn't complete, so until that happens it's unlikely we'll see many companies in the industry making statements about upgrades.