View Full Version : Dell Smartphone Rejected By Carriers As Too Dull

Ed Hansberry
03-22-2009, 03:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/03/21/dells_iphone_killer_rejected_by_carriers_as_too_dull.html' target='_blank'>http://www.appleinsider.com/article...s_too_dull.html</a><br /><br /></div><p><em>"After signaling its intent to follow Apple's wildly successful iPhone into the smartphone business, Dell's first attempts to produce a phone have been rejected by the carries for being too dull and lacking enough differentiation to stand out in a competitive environment, according to a report."</em></p><p>Ouch. Apparently the design could run either Windows Mobile or Google's Android platform. It failed to get any interest though. The research report suggests carriers either want the basic phone that is inexpensive or a <em><strong>Wow!</strong></em> device to compete with high end phones like the iPhone or G1. I suspect Dell did something that would have been loved by IT managers, but not consumers. Maybe they should let their AlienWare division have a crack at it.</p>

dazz
03-22-2009, 02:00 PM
Ouch! That slap has to sting it hopefully it's a wake up call for Dell.

So, what could Dell that would be exciting, and would it be with Android or WinMo?

azhiker
03-22-2009, 10:10 PM
You are assuming tht Dell even cares what critics think!

They put out a great Pocket PC (X50v and X51V) with a VGA screen that is still one of the best of PPC and Mobile Phones, a fast processor, and reliable tool that is still working great for me. So if their cell phone is close to that, and sells it unleashed for abut the same price, it will be a winner with cosumers if not critics.

Ed Hansberry
03-23-2009, 01:09 AM
You are assuming tht Dell even cares what critics think!

They put out a great Pocket PC (X50v and X51V) with a VGA screen that is still one of the best of PPC and Mobile Phones, a fast processor, and reliable tool that is still working great for me. So if their cell phone is close to that, and sells it unleashed for abut the same price, it will be a winner with cosumers if not critics.

They weren't critics. They were Dell customers - the cell phone carriers. They weren't interested. Dell could bring it to market unlocked, but chances of that are exactly zero.

Back to the drawing board for Dell. If the carriers aren't interested, device won't see the light of day.

Fritzly
03-23-2009, 01:52 AM
They weren't critics. They were Dell customers - the cell phone carriers. They weren't interested. Dell could bring it to market unlocked, but chances of that are exactly zero.

Back to the drawing board for Dell. If the carriers aren't interested, device won't see the light of day.

Actually the US are not the World and the "Carriers" dictate the market just in the US market.

Jason Dunn
03-24-2009, 07:06 PM
Actually the US are not the World and the "Carriers" dictate the market just in the US market.

Dell is a US-based company, so it's not surprising that they wanted to launch in their home market first - and I suspect that if T-Mobile, Verizon, etc. don't like it in the US, their counterparts in other parts of the world might not like it either.

Reid Kistler
03-25-2009, 12:15 AM
Have thoroughly enjoyed my Axim, as my wife does hers, and they have held up very well Physically - although with WM2003SE & minimal Memory they are getting well behind the times in functionality compared to newer devices.

From that experience, would welcome a Dell entry into the marketplace, but it seems a Very Difficult time to be bringing out a new device: spoke with favorite AT&T Rep today & was told that they are cutting back their in-store stock of phones SUBSTANTIALLY - to the point that the Fuze could end up being the only Windows Mobile Pro device they will carry, barring the introduction of newer (& as yet unannounced-to-the-staff units).

The Big Push is for the iPhone, with in-store sales goals of something like 40% of devices sold. And apparently the iPhone is what the customers WANT. With one model taking that large of a slice out of the market, it seems that only a Stupendous Device would have a chance to achieve any significant market share.

Certainly, AT&T In-Store Sales represent only a part of the total marketplace, so perhaps the final decision point is whether Dell can gain traction with large Corporations (with an Unlocked Device?). Tough business.

Fritzly
03-25-2009, 12:30 PM
Dell is a US-based company, so it's not surprising that they wanted to launch in their home market first - and I suspect that if T-Mobile, Verizon, etc. don't like it in the US, their counterparts in other parts of the world might not like it either.

Although Dell is an US based company the mobile phone market in the US is not as mature as in the rest of the World so it is not so representative; same observation applies to T-Mobile and Verizon divisions in other Countries: different users with different habits. Finally do not forget that, as I stated before, in the rest of the World customers buy the phones they like not the ones that Carriers decide to offer.

Ed Hansberry
03-25-2009, 10:36 PM
Although Dell is an US based company the mobile phone market in the US is not as mature as in the rest of the World so it is not so representative; same observation applies to T-Mobile and Verizon divisions in other Countries: different users with different habits. Finally do not forget that, as I stated before, in the rest of the World customers buy the phones they like not the ones that Carriers decide to offer.

not sure I understand your point. Dell is a US based company. The research report came from a market analyst in San Francisco California. In the US, the carrier is king. If no carrier is interested, no point in making the device.

Apple did the same thing - launched in the US only and them months later came out in other countries. Given the carrier feedback caused dell to backpedal indicates Dell showed it to US carriers.

Sorry if that offends your sensibilities, but bringing up how the rest of the world does it isn't terribly relevant since Dell didn't show it to the rest of the world and the market analyst wasn't reporting on the rest of the world.

Fritzly
03-26-2009, 04:27 AM
Sorry if that offends your sensibilities, but bringing up how the rest of the world does it isn't terribly relevant since Dell didn't show it to the rest of the world and the market analyst wasn't reporting on the rest of the world.

***long quote trimmed by mod JD***

Do not worry, your comments cannot offend my sensibilities although it is quite clear that solely focusing on the domestic market is one of the reason our economy ended up the way it is.

Dell should be focusing on the development of devices appealing India, China and other Far East markets not shortsighted, local Carriers.

dazz
03-26-2009, 12:14 PM
I hate to break it to you but the recession is world wide. The US does not ignore other markets, it just makes sense to start with he massive market that is your own backyard. Plus, there are many additional costs with going to a foreign market.

There have actually been rumours of Michael Dell running around Asia trying to broker a deal but I doubt that is true. I think Dell would take the slap from the US carriers and either go back to the drawing board or scrap it. There is no way he would take an obviously blah product further.

Dell has to be smacking their foreheads right now though. After seeing the massive success of the iPhone and others and having already been in the PDA market hey definitely have missed an opportunity. With so many great HTC devices in all form factors it isn't going to be easy for Dell to make something that stands out; but that is exactly what they would have to do.

Sven Johannsen
03-31-2009, 04:34 AM
Don't know if folks here remember Dell's first, the X5. Man was it klunky, compared to what Compaq and HP and others were putting out, but it was a darn sight cheaper than anything else out there. They sold it on-line just like their PCs. Then they did an X30. They got their style better and still kept the cost down. The following X50 was an outstanding device, and though I never got one, the successor 51 got great reviews. My wife always said if Dell shoved a phone in an X50 (51) she'd buy one in a heartbeat. As it is she was never happy with the tendancy of PPC Phone Editions (WM Professional Devices) to get smaller and drop resolution.

I actually would look forward to Dell doing an unlicensed/unlocked device, assuming they could do the usual Dell thing of releasing a decent device, very competitavely priced. What are they competing against? For a larger screen device, the competition would be in the $600-$800 range. If Dell could do one in the $400-$500 range, I think they might sell. Heck folks were happy to part with $400 for an iPhone, with a 2yr contract. I would hate to see them become just another lackey for the carriers.