View Full Version : Highly technical Infared question

isilver
03-09-2009, 06:04 PM
Here is the deal. I have an old Xbox with a remote connected to it. The remote has maybe 20 buttons on it. This isn't enough for me. What I was hoping to do is take my Logitech remote control and copy the codes into it. I did that. But I want to be able to push more buttons.

I have found out that the Microsoft Xbox remote uses RC5 codes (I'm not sure what that means). Because it uses these codes the IR receiver should be able to capture 255 codes. The problem is how do I program these codes into my remote control?

I was hoping I could take my pocketPC and figure out a way to spook these IR signals. Because the logitech remote has the ability to learn these codes all I need to do is put the pocket PC next to the remote and it will learn the signal. Is there any pocketpc software that will allow me to spoof these codes somehow?

Cybrid
03-12-2009, 04:40 AM
Here is the deal. I have an old Xbox with a remote connected to it. The remote has maybe 20 buttons on it. This isn't enough for me. What I was hoping to do is take my Logitech remote control and copy the codes into it. I did that. But I want to be able to push more buttons.

I have found out that the Microsoft Xbox remote uses RC5 codes (I'm not sure what that means). Because it uses these codes the IR receiver should be able to capture 255 codes. The problem is how do I program these codes into my remote control?

I was hoping I could take my pocketPC and figure out a way to spook these IR signals. Because the logitech remote has the ability to learn these codes all I need to do is put the pocket PC next to the remote and it will learn the signal. Is there any pocketpc software that will allow me to spoof these codes somehow?

This is a curiousity question. While the RC5 codebase might have 255 codes, the remaining 235ish codes might not be used...you could send them but the xbox would simply ignore it. wouldn't it? unless you hack it and then specifically program it to execute a specific function...what would the point be?

Brad Adrian
03-16-2009, 02:28 PM
Sounds to me like you've got a more serious problem -- I've never known ANYBODY who needs that many buttons! ;)