View Full Version : HTC Touch Pro - voice call or data transfer but not both at the same time?

Philip Colmer
02-03-2009, 06:29 PM
I'm a bit dismayed to discover that one of the latest phones from HTC, the Touch Pro, doesn't seem to support what I would think is a fairly basic bit of functionality these days - the ability to maintain a data connection as well as a telephone conversation at the same time.

Is this the general understanding? That the device cannot handle this?

Or is there some weird registry setting or something that will enable this capability?

Are there any WM devices out there that can do both jobs at the same time?

--Philip

Bob Anderson
02-04-2009, 12:49 AM
I'm a bit dismayed to discover that one of the latest phones from HTC, the Touch Pro, doesn't seem to support what I would think is a fairly basic bit of functionality these days - the ability to maintain a data connection as well as a telephone conversation at the same time.

I didn't think that the cellular radio on phones could support data (via your carrier's 3G network) and voice at the same time. I will notice many times while I'm on a voice call, that when I hang up, several new e-mail alerts will pop up on my phone shortly thereafter, and I always attributed it to the fact that the data and voice couldn't be transmitted at the same time. I THINK I've tried surfing the web via Wi-Fi while on a call, and that worked, but I wouldn't swear to it.

I currently use a Verizon Wireless XV6800 running WM 6.1.

Nurhisham Hussein
02-05-2009, 06:03 AM
This isn't really a device or a WinMo question, but more of a network issue. 3G networks are capable of theoretically carrying data and voice at the same time. However, network coverage can be uneven or broken up by obstacles. In that case, even if you have a 3G/HSPA phone, you might not be getting a 3G/HSPA signal (the phone will drop back to 2G/EDGE, which can't carry data and voice simultaneously). This happens a lot indoors and cities, where walls attenuate the signal. The same thing happens when moving quickly, such as in cars, or if you're close to the border between two cell towers.

Pony99CA
02-06-2009, 02:48 AM
This isn't really a device or a WinMo question, but more of a network issue. 3G networks are capable of theoretically carrying data and voice at the same time.
I always thought it was a carrier/network issue. For example, my Verizon (CDMA) Motorola Q9m can't use data while in a voice call, but I seem to recall people with AT&T (GSM) Q9 Globals being able to have simultaneous voice and data.

Too bad Philip didn't mention what carrier he's using.... ;)

Steve