View Full Version : wireless sync with zune 120 gen 2

grantpet
01-23-2009, 12:51 AM
has anyone else had issue with their device returning an incoreect password for every network access attempt?

i found zero useful information on the zune tech site and phone support....well, let's just say it was quite a few wasted hours just making sure the non native english speaking rep could spell St. Louis; none of them could tell me if the device would operate on an open & shared key setting or just shared key.

same error for hotspots with no password.

removed all protection from my router and completely reset the network, router and device....no change.

after embarrassing the 3rd rep in a row with zero practical wireless network experience they decided the device is defective and are sending a different unit.

if anyone has suggestions that would be great.

thank you in advance.

OMG!! ok folks, brace yourself for this one....

zune returned to me a new device, it had the exact same issue. recalled telephone support, they had no solution other than to return the device again! i went digging through the zune user's guide and found a page had been updated since my last visit just prior to mailing in my original device. those of you using a router with wep key encryption AND have the default wep key set to any number other than 1, your device will not sync.

it was no issue to change my default key to 1 (although i don't like it), now i have to get everyone in north america to change their hotspot router default key to 1...so far ALL 6 hotspots i have been at have not worked and i think this is why.

also, be aware that the passphrase isn't the passphrase to retrieve the wep key, it IS the wep key!!

this is zune highest level of customer support we are talking about here folks!

jdmichal
02-23-2009, 08:00 PM
What difference does it make whether you use key 1, instead of one of the other three? WEP is still just as vulnerable to cracking no matter which you use. Cycling through keys in a random order might actually be useful, but as far as I know no one has implemented this.

And it's pretty Standard Operating Practice that if something asks for a WEP key without specifying a key index, that it should be the key in index 1. Most people don't even realize that there are multiple key indexes in WEP, because it's pretty stupid and there's no reason to not just use the first one.

Also, no surprize in the fact that the dialog asking for the WEP key is asking for the "passphrase". I have seen several pieces of recent software that do this. I think you are a classic case of knowing enough to get in trouble, but not enough to get back out.

grantpet
02-23-2009, 08:55 PM
What difference does it make whether you use key 1, instead of one of the other three?

ask the developers why it doesn't work, i have no clue. no other device has had issue on my network, and i don't see anyone else complaining at the local hotspots (none of which have a zune).

Cycling through keys in a random order might actually be useful, but as far as I know no one has implemented this.

i do this on my own, i believe my friends new router does.

And it's pretty Standard Operating Practice that if something asks for a WEP key without specifying a key index, that it should be the key in index 1. Most people don't even realize that there are multiple key indexes in WEP, because it's pretty stupid and there's no reason to not just use the first one.

no, if something doesn't specify, then it should not matter. if it does matter, then your highest level support should be able to answer that specific question.

no surprize in the fact that the dialog asking for the WEP key is asking for the "passphrase". I have seen several pieces of recent software that do this.

i'm sorry, i have had zero trouble figuring out devices on my network, mostly because the device's documentation is clear...when it needs the passphrase (which retrieves the wep key) it says passphrase; when it needs the wep key, it says wep key. otherwise we need zune's customer service dictionary.

I think you are a classic case of knowing enough to get in trouble, but not enough to get back out.

that is true enough, but this should be a non issue. i specifically asked zune's highest level of customer support if this device functions on all keys...they could not answer it, told me my device was faulty, and while they had my device, updated the user's guide to include this little tidbit.

in addition, they could not answer the question about this unit operating on routers set to open key, shared key, or both....the silence on the other end of the phone was all telling.

so much for soccer mom's who use their pc for facebook and yahoo games ever figuring it out!