View Full Version : Can SMS Notification (sound) Be Stopped/Interrupted?

robshobs
01-15-2009, 01:21 AM
Having been a Windows Mobile Pro user for many years, I got my first WM Standard phone, a Motorola Q from AT&T. I am really enjoying the device but am having one significant problem. When I receive an SMS message, the notification sound plays and there appears to be no way to stop it short of opening up the SMS application.

I've pressed every key and had not success. I prefer to have a longer sound file play (Mission Impossible theme) to make sure I hear it. But once I have, I want it to stop. It's embarrassing to be in a meeting and not be able to stop it.

Is this a Windows Mobile "feature"? Or a problem with the Motorola Q? Or is them some magic I am missing?

Rob

Pony99CA
01-15-2009, 03:39 AM
Having been a Windows Mobile Pro user for many years, I got my first WM Standard phone, a Motorola Q from AT&T. I am really enjoying the device but am having one significant problem. When I receive an SMS message, the notification sound plays and there appears to be no way to stop it short of opening up the SMS application.
Does opening the Messaging program actually stop the sound? (I don't have a long sound as my text alert.) If it does, that's how you do it -- just press the Q's Messaging key (I assume the Q9h/Global has one like my Q9m).

I've pressed every key and had not success. I prefer to have a longer sound file play (Mission Impossible theme) to make sure I hear it. But once I have, I want it to stop. It's embarrassing to be in a meeting and not be able to stop it.
You could always use the Automatic profile, which switches to Vibrate mode when your Calendar has a meeting scheduled.

Is this a Windows Mobile "feature"? Or a problem with the Motorola Q? Or is them some magic I am missing?
I can't swear, but I suspect it's a Microsoft feature. Phone ring tones can shut off when you answer the call, but how does the text message alert know when you've heard it? Well, maybe by going into the Messaging application if what you said above is correct, but I've seen lots of people ask this question and I've never seen a fix.

Well, that's not quite true -- pressing the End Call button for several seconds will stop the sound. Of course, it also turns your phone off. :)

Steve